+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cane Rods

Default Cane Rods

Hi Guys
    I thought this might be a good place to do a little thinking.Plus a little
    discussion on rods. I have a pretty good problem, One of my best friends wants to make me a Split cane rod,Johnny has been making them for a long time and their top notch. My problem is I don't know enough about different tapers to know what I want.This is where you guys that know cane can help.

The cane rod will be fished on water that is about 30 feet wide. I tend to like lighter outfits 3 or 4 wt.and tend to use smaller flies 18 down. I would like to find out some information before I have a discussion about length and taper that I would like to have.

Any comments, Ideas, discussion ,would be appreciated .
    1 How long?
    2 What weight ?
    3 Best taper in your opinion?

Looking forward your comments.

John
    Fish like predator.

Tell Johnny what you want. If he's a good maker he can fit you

Plastic or silk line?

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    Plastic or silk line?
    What?

Personally for light, I like a 7' 4wt. As far as tapers, there are millions...well maybe not millions , but a lot. Each rod maker has his own.

On a small stream 30' wide, I vote for a 7' 4wt also. As far a action, medium (as it relates to graphite) is what you want in a bamboo rod. You want to feel the rod flex right down into the grip when you cast about 30 feet. You want the rod to load with 15' of line out. The last thing you want to do is to try to duplicate the faster action of a graphite rod. Talk to the maker, he will know what you need.

Also, forget the silk line unless you want to spend lots of time dressing and cleaning it. Buy a very supple modern line (Rio Grand, Airflo, SA Mastery) with a braided core. It will cast great with the bamboo action.

A Payne 97 or 98 copy would be a good starting point.

Harry

I'll split from the prevailing wisdom and say that I would lean more toward a 7'6" rod for a stream that size not to mention having a rod that will do more in more places to boot.

Streams that are between 6-30 feet wide are my preference and I save the 7'0" rods for the smaller 15-20' "cricks" or days when I feel like messing around. A 7'6' rod, especially a 7'6" 5wt is a cane classic. Yea I know you said 3-4 weight but I also fish small flies; many times dipping into the 28-32's and I successfully fish them on every line size from 2-6.

I won't recommend a taper because that is too subjective but I URGE you to visit your maker, (rod maker that is) and waggle a few.

I think a Payne 98 would be an excellent choice for your conditions. It's a crisp dry fly action 7' 4 weight.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I think a Payne 98 would be an excellent choice for your conditions. It's a crisp dry fly action 7' 4 weight.
    I agree fully with this! I made a Payne 98 taper as my first bamboo rod and it's really great. It will cast a 4 a 3 and even a 2#!

I would also suggest a Cattenach Sir D 7' 4# if you like crisp actions.
    Anyway your maker should advise you for the best and it's a good idea to try a few out before deciding.

Cheers

Moreno
    Moreno Borriero

I would agree with the above that a 7'-6" 4 wt would be a nice rod for the creek you describe. However, I believe more importantly than line weight and length is how the rod feels to YOU when casting it. Bamboo can be all over the map in the way it cast and it just has to feel right. So, for that reson I would strongly sugest trying several rods first if you possibly can (paying no attention to length or weight) and describing to your friend (the maker) what you like or dislike about the rod and then maybe he can suggest a taper with similar action in the length and weight you would prefer. Just a thought.

+ Reply to Thread