+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You've got to use an 8 wt to throw bass bugs. Myth, reality?

nighthawk Guest

I use an Orvis Clear Water 9' 8wt. There are big toothy critters like muskies in the waters I fish for bass. So, if I am bass bugging it, I use the 8wt.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default 8 wt

Down south here, the bass tend to run to the 'big bruiser' stage, and are ususally in or near heavy cover. This necesitates the use of 8 wt and up. I use a Scientific Angler 8 wt with a butt extension.

Semper Fi!

No right or wrong here. It's personal preference. I use a 6 or 7 wt, primarily because of the way I rig 'em. I almost always use furled leaders, & my 3 wt & 'boo always has 6x or 7x tippet, 5 wt has 5x, sometimes 6x, & my "big boys", the 6 & 7 wts are rigged with 3x or stronger (steelies). I say fish with what you are comfortable & have fun!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

'tuber
    Are you sayin' that you use 6x and 7x tippet for bass?
    Why?
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

When I am intentionally fishing for big LMB in areas with lots of brush and old trees, I use two, nine-foot, nine-weight rods. I can throw BIG flies and lures, jerk fish out of heavy cover and easily toss 70+ foot casts. That being said, I have caught a lot bass on my four weights, and on my one and two weights while fishing for brim. The bass on the lighter rods were generally smaller fish but they were a definite BLAST. I also lost a fair number of these fish because I couldn't turn them away from brush, riprap and downed trees. There are clearly good points for either heavy or light rods---the choice is yours. 8T

Dudley,
    No, I'm sorry...I see that I didn't explain. The rods with 6x & 7x tippet are definitely my panfish & stream trout rods. Of course, I occasionally do hook bass on them & that's a hoot, but bass are definitely my targets when I am using the light stuff.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I regularly throw 1/0 and larger deer hair/foam bugs with my 4 weight into headwinds. I can also chunk those heavy streamers with the giant dumbbell heads a pretty good distance too; it just comes down to taking it very carefully with such a light rod. Double hauling is pretty much out of the question, as it seems to put too much stress on the rod. The trick I use is to sidearm with the fly as low to the water as I can keep it.

I only do this because I generally fish large areas for gills, but I'll come on a spot that looks like prime bass area, or I'll see bass rolling on the surface and quickly tie on the fly.

The biggest problem is getting the fish in, rather than casting. Good luck keeping a 4lb bass out of structure with a 4wt and 5x tippet, lol.

This is a great line of conversation. I venture out with a 5WT and an 8Wt. I generally chase BGs with my 5WT but when I see a Big Bass I bring up the 8Wt.

I have lost many bass on the 5WT because I could not control the fish. With the 8WT I have been able to land more fish and cast further.

I guess it is just a matter of what works for you. I guess I could also do do it with a 6WT or 7WT. But I was following Whitlock's recommendation and thought I could also use it in the Salt.

Once again great comments.

biggest bass i ever caught wa on a 2 wt and a #10 Wolly Bugger. Having said that, I enjoy throwing hamster sized top water bugs into thick cover from time to time. For that a 8 wt is the right tool.

This has been interesting . . . . I will admit though that my biggest bass, a striper, was caught on a 4wt. It was 27 inches long and was hard to control. Luckily it was in a small river and it could not spool me. I was trout fishing in a tail water, and saw a school of stripers. I broke the leader back to a heavier section and tied on a clouser. The rodeo was on . . .
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

+ Reply to Thread