+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A couple of wrapping questions

Default A couple of wrapping questions

1) What is the best (second best) way to step down a wrap off a metal ferrule on an old rod?
    I realize I could remove the ferrule and bevel it down, but I'm thinking there must be a easier way to fill in the gap.

2)The wrap at the tip-top. Does it strenthen the tip area, or is it just decorative?
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Not sure I understand the first ? but wonder why a wrap is even needed on a metal ferrule. As I picture it it is only decoration.

#2 - A wrap is not needed for strength. You can wrap up on the tip top sleeve or wrap to it or do nothing. It's what you like

Certainly the best way is to remove the guide and grind the foot to the proper profile. It's a little more work but it gives you the best result. For one thing the thread color will match on both sides of the guide. Even a slight change on color might be noticable if the the wraps are seperated by only a 1/4". A slight change in color when the guides are 10" apart won't be as noticable.

If I had to leave the guide in place I would use a very small drop of epoxy to form a fillet and smooth step down to the blank. Heating the area with a hair dryer while hand rotating the rod will liquify the epoxy and help it spread into a smooth film.

As far as ther tip-top wrap, I think they are mostly decoritive. It may help prevent the tip-top from catching on things by smoothing the joint, but I don't think it adds a lot of strength.

Default Wrapping Questions

Hi Dudley the answer to question #1 is to wrap A thread to the base of the Ferrule then use D to over wrap the blank & the Ferrule. The D thread will lay in the V section of the A wraps.

Question #2 it is not required to wrap the tip top, looks only better

That's what I wanted to know,
    Thanks BF
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

if you are doing this on a cane rod, many of the ferrules were "double Wrapped" if the ferrule is serrated and tapered you should be able to just wrap over it. If itis on a fiberglas rod then wrap up to the edge of the ferrule, apply a sealer like a color preserver(not epoxy). Let it dry then wrap over the first wrap and finish to the end. D size thread on a fly rod is hugh. Stick with A
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

Most ferrules should be properly feathered in to achieve a good transition on a wrap. Occasionally I find one that may need feathering and I do that with a battery operated dremel tool, low speed and with a 3/4" round stone in the tool. does a great job that can easily be polished so the thread flows easily over the transition area.

Dudley;
    Wrap up the ferrule from the blank, it's easier than wrapping down off the ferrule. Also, if the ferrule wasn't wrapped over before, don't try it now. It will be easy to tell, the edge of an unwrapped ferrule is very thick and not user friendly at all, if it was intended to be wrapped, it will have a tapered edge and a shoulder to stop the wrap at.
    john

+ Reply to Thread