+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wish us luck

Default Wish us luck

A friend of mine has a yarn shop in a nearby town. She spins her own wool which is mostly spoken for months ahead of the shearing. So in her shop she stocks assorted yarns and a small selection of craft items. This summer a Super Wal-Mart is opening on the edge of town, and she is scared. She has read books and attended seminars on how to create a niche, on how to stay alive against such economic odds. In so doing she has asked me to put on a fly tying class in her store tomorrow night, and worked with the local sporting goods store to provide tying kits. Whoever wants to tie can sit at the table for about three hours. She's expecting people to come and go at their leisure. I don't know if this will work but it's worth a try. While it is practically impossible to beat Bentonville she is at least giving it a try. Wish her, and us, a little luck. It's too bad that we have one company so bent on capturing every dollar spent in America, and one that has home headquarters in a "small" town. Thanks. JGW

Default No luck needed....

While there are many who look upon the advent of Wal Mart as the end of all civilization, the reality is that for small(ish) independent stores, it need not be a big deal.

Here I'll say that I speak not from direct experience but rather from talking to a pretty big sample of fishing tackle retailers from all over the country. I work for a trade magazine which is very supportive of independent retailers. As a result, I've covered the subject of big-box stores and their effects in some depth.

There are several keys to survival. The first is to not sell what Wal Mart does...and it sounds like your friend has that covered with her specialty yarns. She can't compete selling the same things; they have to be different. The second thing is to provide good customer service...and novel customer service. Your fly tying demo is a good example of that. The last thing I'll cover is the need to maintain confidence in the store's viability. She'll undoubtedly take a hit as customers head over to WM for one thing or another and the novelty of it all, but if she truly fills a need in the area that WM doesn't cover, they'll be back.

A good case in point is a craft store in my area that used to get some of my business before WM moved in. A week before the Wal Mart opened, the craft store was closing out on everything, and I think they closed the week Wal Mart opened. They just didn't have the will to stay in business, even though most of what they stocked was stuff WM didn't carry. They flat gave up without trying to stay in business. Now I have to drive even further to get some things I need (or want) because WM still doesn't carry them.

Another point for your friend to think about is working with the staff in the appropriate department at WM. Make sure they know what your friend's store carries and its location. Inform them when she is running classes or special events. One fly shop, located in the Denver area I think, said that if they had a Bass Pro Shop come in to town, they would do everything they could to move as close to the store as possible. The owner felt that by working with the guys in the BPS fly department, he would get even more business than before.

As the fly shop owner in Islamorada told me last week (he's located about a half mile or less from a World Wide Sportsman [BPS] store with its own fly shop), "It (WWS) doesn't bother me at all; they're not my customers."

But good luck with your demo; they can be fun. And wish your friend well.

Keith

White43,
    Your friend may be in luck! I was told by the manager of our local Walmart that the craft departments will be phased out in all stores. All yarns, materials, beads, everything will be gone soon.
    Ours has sold out of most of their bulk material and sewing related items.
    There may be hope for the small shop yet!

Two Weight, aka Caddisfly

We have a WM by where I live. I have been in there 2 times. First time was to look. I had never been in a Wally World before. I didn't buy anything. The second time I was actually looking to buy something but could not find anybody that worked there so I left without buying anything. There will not be a third time. Tell your friend not to worry. I think there is becoming more and more people like me out there.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Blog Entries

My experience with Wallyworld and watching new stores come into town, The stores that die are the ones that shouldn't be there to begin with. The ones with no product and less customer service.

Just my observations from Working at wallyworld while opening a store and living where two more opened

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I hope you will be using some of your friends materials when you're tying your flies! Sock wool works well for dubbing (like wee-wool), Angora for leech hair, Eyelash yarn for bodies. "Fresh" un spun wool for dubbing. Even little crochet hooks can be used as knot tyers for pheasant feather legs! That doesn't even begin to say anthing about the silk yarns! (multiple plys that can be seperated)
    I have as much trouble (ie: getting into trouble!) in a yarn store when it comes to tying as it does to knitting.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

John,
    Good luck! Don't forget to make up some dubbing for her/you to sell during the class.
    I am also a fan of independent business. Sounds like your friend is interested in catering to the consumer. Good for you for helping her out.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

It seems to me if there is a waiting list to get her self spun wool yarn, that want will not change and she already has her niche.

Great ideas. We got snowed out last night and are working on rescheduling. 18 inches over two days and it's still spitting.

+ Reply to Thread