+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oaring question for Hobie Cat 75 owners

Default Oaring question for Hobie Cat 75 owners

I own a Hobie Cat 75 and really enjoy using it. It is not difficult to oar but I was wondering if anyone has tried using a double ended paddle to paddle a Hobie Cat? The reason I am asking is that the upright oar lock holders for the oars are removeable and if I could paddle my Hobie fairly easy with a double ended paddle I could remove the upright oar lock holders and give myself more room for using a fly rod. I was thinking it would provide more fishing room plus I could just lay the double ended paddle across my lap if I wanted to make a few casts while floating through an area. So, has anyone tried a double ended paddle with a Hobie and will it work or not. Thanks for any help with this.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I would think your cat would work OK with double blade - with a major exception: it has what I would consider a rather large foot-print one the water and will probably not paddle efficiently in a straight line. If you are on small ponds and looking only for maneuverability, it CAN be done, but it will not be efficient in moving forward. I would still stick with oars if I were in your case.
    -Erik

Broadwing,

That is not what I wanted to hear! It is what I figured I would hear though. I was just hoping it would work, but, I still love my Hobie Cat and will continue to oar it. I do not want to put a battery and trolling motor on it because of the extra weight, extra time lost putting it in the river and taking it out plus paying the State to have it registered due to the trolling motor. I guess I will put up with the oars and keep on fishing.

Thanks for the help and information.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Default Re: Oaring question for Hobie Cat 75 owners

I use a trolling motor with my 75 and would not leave home without it. All of the things you fear are nothing compared to the benefits. Time? What is another 20 seconds? Weight? You never feel it. You have to get the Hobie motor mounting bracket, of course.

I even have one mounted to the front end for easing up on bass in the wind.

Bill

Default Re: Oaring question for Hobie Cat 75 owners

I'd have done the trolling motor thing with mine as well..But my favorite lake does not allow any motors at all...So I went with the Hobie Outback and have not used the 75 since...Prolly going to have to part with the 75 if things keep on as they are now...This time off work,with no cash flowing in is getting annoying...But I deffinitely won't start with it...that'll be a last resort....
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread