+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lefty's stab move....casting

"To 'stab' the rod back after the stop of the rod on the back-cast still takes out slack. Some call that drift. Some call bringing it forward early, negative-drift (creep/slide-loading)."

Taking out slack on the back cast is very important, in Leftys method this is the main reason for the long exagerated arm path, the initial forward motion is slow gradual acceleration,,,,this is what takes out the line slack and prepares the line to properly load the rod at the short & quick S-U-A-S.

The reel is not rotated intentionally, it naturally happens when you extend your arm to the rear on the back cast. It is the most comfortable way to extend your arm 180 degrees to the rear using the entire arm and shoulder motion. For a RH caster stand with the left foot forward and make a back cast, now try a long back cast standing with both feed together and facing the target. Not right or wrong casting,,,,just a differnce in style.

You do NOT stab the rod AFTER the stop. The rod should not move after the S-U-A-S, the early 1970's "Stab" referred to Leftys' back cast which at that time was very unique. He explained to me that the term confused his students into pantomine of a sword stab which was not correct.

The 1990's video with the Borgers filming and Lefty casting, demonstrates what Jason named a "Stab Cast" which is a forward cast motion where the rod is pointed directy to the casters rear direction, is brought arround horizontally 180 degrees and ends pointed straight at the target. This is rather difficult to perform if you do not understand the concept of short & fast S-U-A-S. This cast will not work if you do not stop the rod at the moment it is pointed at the target, it is not stabbed or moved forward toward the target,,,again the "stab" term is very confusing.

Regards,
    FK

What is..."S-U-A-S.
    "?

Speed Up And Stop

Lefty has (or had) what he calls the five cardinal rules of fly casting.
    I have seen #5 sometimes changed or omited, but this is how he taught them for many years.

1. The rod is a flexible lever, and the longer you move the rod through a casting arc, the more it contributes to the cast and the less effort is required of the angler.

2. You cannot make any cast untill you get the end of the line moving, and on the back cast it is wise to also lift all line (except the leader) from the water before making the cast.

3.The fly will go in the direction that you accelerate at the end of the cast and where the rod tip stops.

4. The size of the loop is determined by the distance that you accelerate the rod tip at the end of each cast, combined with a quick stop.

5. To be able to reach well behind you with the rod hand,you must start the cast with the thumb rotated outward from the body, and the thumb should travel in a straight path that is 180 degrees away from the target.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

My video is so old he only had three then.

I was lucky enough to take a lesson from him in the mid 60's He explained he used this style more out of nessesty than anythig else. The glass rods of the day were much slower and much easier to shock. the longer the stroke the more speed you could generate without shocking the rod. with the new equipment it is just not necessary today. (all though it sill works)

Rich

Duckster,
    When I was making an effort to improve my casting 25 years ago these are the rules he was teaching then.
    The rules I copied this morning came from his book Advanced Fly Fishing Techniques published in 1992
    (about as modern as I get I myself have never seen a casting video)
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread