+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you connect fly line to leader without tying a knot?

Shoe, sorry I read it wrong ....thought you only did it once...of course the bigger the sample the better.

I once thought of doing a scientific study on line-leader connections - I have a research background and an interest in this. It would be a lot of work to test the many different methods. Thinking about it more, it would be like buying more gear except I wouldn't have the gear! I mean who is funding this kind of research?

Default Re: leader loops

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic
    I discourage anyone from using pre-made leader loops. I have lost entire leaders when the connector wears and separates from the fly line. Like Bamboozle and others, I nail knot mono (20# about 6-8" long) right onto the fly line with a perfection loop on the end.
    I actually do use leader loops and the only problem I ever had was the LOOP pulling apart; luckily while I was setting up. Now I work in a small amount of UV Knot Sense at the junction to stop this from happening.

Luckily 95% of my lines have the Rio Welded Loop or the Sci Anglers Streamlined Loop. The other lines get the leader loops which for the most part happens to be on lighter outfits. BUT the way I think about it is: I'm going to release or lose the fish one way or another anyway; so I really don't lose any sleep worrying about that connection failing. It usually takes me about a day and a few beers to get over losing a nice fish I was going to release anyhow. As a matter of fact, I've never lost a fish because of this junction failing; but I guess it depends on what you're fishing for.

IF I worried that much about losing fish; I wouldn't fish 6X & 7X so much.

Default nail knot

My 2 cents! I've never had a nail knot fail me in all my years of fishing. I tie a perfection loop to about a 5 or 6 inch piece of the leader butt section and I've had no problems.

fishinnstudyin, one other solution to the loop in the line, is the one I use. Still believe in it, but yes I check it once a year to see if the leader has cut it. So, far .....still good.
    Fold your LINE over to form a small loop, then take a fly tying bobbin and cover it with thread. Tie it off with either the tech for rod wrapping or just a whip finish. Coat with Knot Sense or just a dot of Zap-A-Gap to seal the thread. Then use a Perfection loop in the leader (perfection will hang straighter than a Surgeon's Loop)

good idea FG, it'll deffinitly make tying leaders to fly line a lot easier

Default L2L leaders

Just curious why nobody's mentioned Scientific Anglers L2L connectors ... now reconnectable ... I just bought a few ... seems elegant and simple. Too new to have been tested-and-proven?

i've never used them do the connectors fit through the guides?

Default Not tried yet ...

Haven't had a chance to actually use them yet ... still serious winter here in Manitoba!

Prediction...they will go the way of the barbed hook eye for leader to line

+ Reply to Thread