+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cost of Shows

Default Cost of Shows

Am I the only one who thinks that $14 to go to a fly fishing show is a little outrageous? It seems, to me, a lot to pay when you go to a place full of people trying to sell things to you.

IMHO
    Adam

I noticed that children got in for two bucks. They didn't buy my second childhood theory.

Yeah, $14 is a little steep as long as you don't hit the "free" seminars and such. The seminar on midges by Ed Engle was worth the $14 alone. Also got to cast some great rods and some not so great rods, chat up some really creative fly tiers for some of their trade secrets and secret flies.

As long as your figuring on the cost of a show, don't forget parking and food. Those can also put a dent in your wallet.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I did not go to the Charlotte show this year for that very reason. I think $14 is just too much.

Good point, Ron. I had forgot about parking. I always eat first. I think I will skip the Portland show because of the price.

Adam

Our local ham club has swap meets for radio gear twice a year. There are also commerical vendors selling new equipment at the fair. All table space cost $10.00 each and we supply a table. You can have as many table spaces at $10.00 each you want. We use to charge $8.00 for entry for anyone wanting to go through the exhibit tents and parking lot spaces. Attendance was low and of course that meant not much gear sold. When we changed it to free admitance, the attendance sky rocketed, we made our money on the table rental and food sales. It was a win win for everyone. Can you imagine charging someone to shop at a outdoor Saturday market, multi family garage sale or a farmers market? Maybe car lots should charge people to get into their lots? Let the seller pay to sell, let the buyer in free to buy. I think if you have to pay to get in a fly show you should be able to use the ticket to get something in return, like a hot-dog and pop. When we have our chilie cook-off, we don't charge for people to attend, but we do sell tickets at .75cents each to sample the chile. There are many ways to make every one happy.

Our FFF Club has put on an Expo for the past 5 years, and we charge admission to get into the show, with parking being free. This event has 5-6 seminars throughout the day on timely topics relevant to our region, as well as casting demonstrations and up to 40 fly tyers from FFF Clubs in the region. All seminars are taught by regional talent, and we have continuous beginner fly tying included in the admission. We charge vendors for space and rent tables to them to cover the cost of renting the facility (not many people will give you 10,000 square feet for free these days). We make our money at the door and a couple of raffles, and the space rental covers the facility expenses. We depend on good advertising, providing a good product(s) and an audience willing to support our efforts in order to make enough money to get us through the year.

This year our attendees learned how to spin deer hair from Chris Helm, fish for steelhead by a local respected guide, properly fish streamers for warm water species and steelhead, Knot tying, how to gear up for winter steelheading and much more. All for $10 for the whole package. You just can't buy these seminars individually as cheap as you can get them at shows. The level of education was so good this year that the vendors were upset when the seminars started because the floor would clear out for the next 45 minutes.

This event is our annual fundraiser that supports up to 10-12 educational programs throughout the year, both within the club and in our outreach programs. We do not charge to teach tying and casting, but it costs us money to do so in mileage, lodging, meals, supplies and equipment that we must buy. We raise the funds with this one event so we can then go out and teach those who cannot afford to buy lessons. Last year we purchase 7 new fly rod combos so we could teach with good equipment ($189 cobos), and we have 20 tying kits to teach fly tying ($125 per kit). It all comes with a price tag, and fundraiser is the only way to get it all. BTW, all of our instructors DONATE their time to these classes throughout the year, and get their expenses reimbursed when they travel for the club.

Depending on the region of the country and what you get for the price, I would expect that $14 is reasonable for the promoter to make a profit. After all, that's why he's in business.

IMHO, club shows are your best value for the buck, and you will get the best regional education as well. Support your local clubs!

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Adam,
    I still have a LOT to learn about this great sport, & the educational opportunities at these shows are well worth whatever they charge, at least IMO. In addition to the seminars, I have learned a bunch from meeting new folks & from those manning booths at the shows. I also get to visit with old friends I don't see often enough. I have yet to attend a show that I DIDN'T consider a bargain. Maybe I have been lucky, but even the "sellers" have always been very willing to share knowledge. I make as many shows as I can. Admission fee is not a consideration, & I am not made of money. I've found that, often, the show is what I've made it for myself.

Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Default Re: Cost of Shows

Quote Originally Posted by Helicopsyche
    Am I the only one who thinks that $14 to go to a fly fishing show is a little outrageous? It seems, to me, a lot to pay when you go to a place full of people trying to sell things to you.

IMHO
    Adam
    Dear Helicopsyche,

Yes, the price is excessive and that is why the number of shops and small sellers dwindle annually at the "Big Show" in NJ that started it all. Soon it will be nothing but outfitters selling $ 4000.00 a week fishing trips.

Still, I wish I would have been able to go to the show in NJ this year because that would have meant I didn't loose the fuel system in Cummins diesel. I spent $ 2100.00 plus a tow and hotel room on the way to a $ 14.00 show. How smart am I?

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

I recently went to the Auto Show at the Portland Convention Center. The Parking was $8.00 at the center garage. We parked on the street for $3.50.
    I thought the Auto Show was better than last year. I don't know how good the flyfishing show will be and I am undecided about going.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Last Friday I went to the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show the Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg, PA.

It was a big show, lots of stuff to see, demos, lots of stuff to eat, stuff to buy, BEER and some of the halls smelled like horse and cow excrement.

Admission with Bass Pro discount: $9.00

In January I went to the Pennsylvania Farm Show at the Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg, PA

It was a big show, lots of stuff to see, demos, lots of stuff to eat, stuff to buy, WINE and most of the halls smelled like horse and cow excrement.

Admission FREE!

BTW I also went to the York Farm Show the day before the PA Farm Show and paid the same admission fee...

...nothing!

So how come fishing shows that probably charge exhibitors more for booth space and services feel compelled to charge an admission fee?

Is it because farmers are smarter than fisherman?

+ Reply to Thread