+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Box Foam

Default Fly Box Foam

I'm looking for a source for the ripple foam used in fly boxes. I want large peaces but I don't want to buy in large quantities. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
    Don
    Don O

[url=http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0001408312806a&type=product&cmCat=sear ch&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=ripple+foam&N=4887&Ntk=Prod ucts&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=ripple+foam&noIma ge=0:0cab4]Cabela's[/url:0cab4] is one source I'm aware of.

I found large 10X10 pieces in several fly material catalogs, but didn't like the $12+ price for my application. Instead I make my own from 2mm or 3mm craft foam purchased at the craft store.

I apply double sided outdoor carpet tape to the back side (outdoor tape has waterproof adhesive) leaving the special non-stick paper backing in place. I then cut the foam into 1/4" wide strips and apply them to a full sheet of foam leaving 1/4" to 3/8" spaces, depending on the size of hook. I also apply then to 8 1/2" X 11 pieces of heavy acetate (art store) for ripple foam that looks like the 'Cliff Box' or C&F foams.

For the same 12 bucks I cam make about 10 large sheets...

Default fly foam

http://www.tie-fast.com/D%20Millstream% ... 0Boxes.htm
    http://www.millstreamproducts.com/bplg.html

Millstream makes a 12 x 15 patch that you can usually get for about $10.

Quote Originally Posted by kengore
    I found large 10X10 pieces in several fly material catalogs, but didn't like the $12+ price for my application. Instead I make my own from 2mm or 3mm craft foam purchased at the craft store.

I apply double sided outdoor carpet tape to the back side (outdoor tape has waterproof adhesive) leaving the special non-stick paper backing in place. I then cut the foam into 1/4" wide strips and apply them to a full sheet of foam leaving 1/4" to 3/8" spaces, depending on the size of hook. I also apply then to 8 1/2" X 11 pieces of heavy acetate (art store) for ripple foam that looks like the 'Cliff Box' or C&F foams.

Ken

What a great idea!

Don Q

If you don't want to "roll your own" as Ken suggests, you might want to check Sportsman's Warehouse. I've seen them there.

For the same 12 bucks I cam make about 10 large sheets...
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Kaufmans' has a 12"x15" ripple foam patch for $10.25 in their catalog. It has an adhesive back and is designed for application in a boat or canoe.

Thanks to all of you for helping.

Ken I like your idea and I am going to use it.

Don
    Don O

+ Reply to Thread