+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just found dad's old bamboo rod in basement

Default Just found dad's old bamboo rod in basement

Rod has been there for about 30+ years. It's a two piece rod with no markings whatsoever on it. It's very stiff and without much flex in it. Was dirty and covered in dust and grime. Butt section is 33" long and tip section is 32 1/2" long. Thread wrappings are a yellow and black color and they make a "mottled" looking pattern. There are two small double wraps of red thread, about a 1/4" wide, and separated by about a 1/2" spacing, that are about 4" above the hook keeper. All wrappings are tight except there is a slight "play" in the male/female ferrules. Tip section has a small right hand "set/bend" to it when looking down towards the tip with the guides on the bottom. Reel seat is of an up-locking type and the butt end has a opening with a small lip on it. May have had some kind of cap on it at some time. Cork handle is well-worn and looks like it has seen many a days use. Sorry, no photos to post. Know nothing about boo rods so am open to suggestions about repairs etc. Planning on bringing it to next T.U. meeeting and seeing if anyone there can enlighten me; but, thought I'd post a description here in the meantime. Thanks for any tips.

Here I am thinking "Banty" rods are something new and Mt. Man comes up with one built easily 30 years ago.
    Congrats on your special find.
    It will not take much to remove the ferrules with a little heat. If you can't get it off, check for pins holding them on too. Clean the old glue and then epoxy the ferrules on again.
    For the slight set in the tip, again some gentle heating and a soft touch easing it back into line.
    If the guide wrappings varnish look a little thin, you may want to apply a coat or two of some spar varnish on them for additional protection.
    Try a 3# or 4# line on it.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Default dads rod

For the set in tip, once its stripped, you can try using a heating pad with a book or two on top. I fixed a small set this way and it worked for me.

Good idea Clyde...is there anything that can be done short of stripping the tip to get a set out that you know of?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Default Thanks for the tips

Wed. Caster & Clyde, Thanks for the suggestions on fixing the rod. Won't probably attempt any myself except maybe the tip straightening part. Going to find someone local for a "show & tell" session to see if it's worth some time, effort and money to recondition it. Would like to fish it again before passing it on to my son and grandson. Wish this had some markings on it for possible identification; but, it may be as you say, a 30+ year personal "banty" rod of someone's own making and not a manufactured rod. If I learn anything interesting will post the results again later on. Again - thanks for the tips.

It really isn't that hard to remove the ferrules and re-glue them at all. If you're going to try straightening the set, you might as well go for the ferrules too. My first bamboo rod was intimidating too but you'll find its pretty easy once you give it a go! You can ask away on this website and there are many of us (much better than me) who will be happy to respond. Maybe you can find a local FAOLer to call on to give you some assistance. Now that would be the ticket.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton

Wednesday Caster,

Reason I didn't want to mess with the ferrules is that they are also wrapped with thread at the ends just like the guides and I don't have the means or experience to mess with re-wrapping. Would hate to get into rod stuff cause then I'd have another life time addiction to deal with. Flyfishing and tying are bad enough without the burden of rods too! Woe is me...

Grn Mt Man--

There will be a rod building show in High Point, NC on Feb. 17 that you might want to consider looking into. I dont know all the details about it but can find out if you are interested. Son has gotten into the rod building thing, not me, and both of us are going. Im taking 5 bamboo rods with me to have someone there take a look at them. As I understand it, builders will be there that specialize in materials- thread, guides, etc- for the older rods.

Let me know if you want details on it and I will get them to you.

George

Some times you can reheat the ferrule and the glue will rebond.

Just a thought.

BDC
    Bamboo rods were made to fish, so fish them.

BDC

Mt. Man,
    Oh, I understand. Make sure you do take care of that burdensome click in the ferrule though before fishing it. I have always re-glued mine but have read and been told that the clicking (movement) will start cutting into the boo and...snap- you have 1"-shorter section. Have not had it happen but it sure does make sense and I didn't want to chance it.
    If the hardware is original and if you can get a picture posted here, I'm sure one the the boo-nuts will be able to atleast ID the hardware.

+ Reply to Thread