+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Refinished "blue collar" bamboo rod swap

Sounds great Clyde. Go ahead and post some photos Clyde. Then everyone can see them. If you have more you want to send, I will PM you with my email address and you can email the others to me.

Default rod swap

Jim, Got your message, I will post here and also send some too you so there easier to save. What, no response to the butt wrap? Later

stripped the project rod of varnish this evening and gave it a first sanding. the old pole is now a blank. yesterday I ran some numbers for guide spacing. the rod was only equipped w/ six guides, which is too few for an 8'6" rod. taped the guides to the rod and tossed some practice casts in the backyard, adjusted the spacing. rod cast nicely, though I didn't throw more than 20' of line. since I'm not restoring the rod to as original, I thought I'd add the necessary and appropriate guides. the rod's not a collector's item to begin with, so it may as well be fished. that's what I think anyways.

next up, straightening the tips. tung coat and wrapping.

prolly time to order the guides...

to be con't.

mgj

Will have the blank stripped this weekend and will reset ferrules.
    I think it will be a fine rod.Will take photos if I remember.

BDC
    Bamboo rods were made to fish, so fish them.

BDC

dint do shlit tonite.
    I'm jrinkin' it's bender night.

that is all.

Thought I would post some picture of a few parts from the DeLuxe, after getting them somewhat cleaned up and ready to assemble. If you look closely inside the winding check you can see the green tarnish that covered most of the nickel silver parts on this old rod. A little Acetone bath followed by some TLC with Metal Glow, and ouala!! we have shiney stuff again...

Leo - You are unreal man! The silverware I eat off of doesn't look that good!

BTW - on another thread about glueing, did you say to stay away from using Tite-Bond II for regluing delaminated sections? The warnings about the dust from the Gorilla Glue has me sorta freaked out, but I don't want to use Tite-Bond if it won't stand up long term to the normal level of flexing and bending.

Jim, Tite-Bond II will work for delams, and a lot of folks use it for that. I prefer the Ape juice just because of the studies I read from the Forestry department. The dust can be bad stuff but that is true for so many of the things that we work with. The way I handle delams doesn't generate that much dust as I wash off the foam and squeeze out as much as possible as it occurs. What is left to sand is really minute and a standard filter dust mask will work sufficiently.

Heck, the acetone is more deadly than the gorilla glue dust

p.s. Here is the link to the MSDS for the Gorilla Glue..the moral to this story is do not drink the stuff or it will plug you up big time!!
    http://www.gorillaglue.com/pdfs/msds.pdf

Default metal glow

Leo , where do you get this " metal glow " stuff ? Your parts look REALLY nice !

2 Bead,
    I get this stuff from the knife dealers at gun and knife shows. Used to use superchrome but this is just a tad better IMHO.

+ Reply to Thread