+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any suggestions for a new fly line?

Default Any suggestions for a new fly line?

My 8'Orvis Silverlable 3wt is in need of line replacement. I fish it on the small spring creeks here in Mn. I have no complaints with the Wonderline that I had on the rod but was thinking about trying a different line.
    Any suggestions to look at?
    Thanks
    TaG

I'm curious why you want to try a new line. Are you looking for some changes in performance? If not, why not stick with what works for you?

Chuck

See if you can identify the things you like in a three weight line. Does the Wonderline have them all? If not, what exactly might be better about it? Such as, with any line, it has a nice hard finish that screams through the guides, but that also makes it like a 'slinky' in cold weather. Or, just how often might that be a problem? Isolate and identify.

Default MY 2 Cents...

I like the Orvis lines and some of the Mastery Lines. Was a huge fan of the Wulff Triangle taper for long roll casts but have found the Rio lines to be great. Here is another review.

http://www.epinions.com/content_244413861508

The only knock I would have is that it does seem to have more "memory" ie coiling in colder temps. That may be the case for anyline, but I have wonderline on all my rigs so don't know for sure. It seems more of a problem on my 3 than my 4 or 6.
    Maybe I need to get two diff lines one for warmer weather and a cold weather line

The Sci Angler Mastery XPS is a very good limp line and should perform well on a Silver Label.

After that a Rio Selective Trout also is very limp although it has a longer front taper than the XPS and I don't know how it would perform on your rod.

you can spend money on the Rio Selective Trout DT line... I use it on my 3 weights.
    Later,
    Peter

The coils are smaller on the threeweight, right? So a tendancy to coil, not a big problem on a larger line, might be a problem in a smaller size... ?

The 3wt and 4wt are on the same model reel so count that theory out.
    The 3 is a year older line so may have something to do with the fact it is loosing its coating and coiling more with water retention?
    Keep the info coming as I am learning a great deal about fly lines.
    Thanks

10. Default

I would say either Rio Selective Trout WF, which I can personally vouch for, or SA Mastery XPS WF, which a buddy of mine thinks is great. Either land lightly and have low memory.

I think the Rio Selective Trout turns a fly over a little better, and SA Mastery XPS has a more delicate landing.

mAngler

+ Reply to Thread