+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Orvis Claims: Speed of a Running Permit?

I don't trust Orvi$....But I am not sure. That number is just hard to believe.

------------------
    "Never Say Die"

Uptroutfshr,

You are quoting outside diameters. For this kind of claim, no marketing department would be using outside diameters.

uptrout,

Using those 4 models, let's take an average and just say the reel has:
    an outside diameter of 4" and an arbor of 1". That means the average line diameter is roughly 2-1/2". Of course the revolutions will be less initially and more as the line gets closer to the arbor, but lest's put that aside. At 16,000 RPM, what is the speed?

Allan

If the numbers are outer diameter, then the inner diameter must be about two-thirds for these large arbor reels, or about 2.5 inches? They call this the ultimate big game reel, so I have no idea how big these beasts are.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that if Orvis tests the reel for 16,000 RPM, then it will handle a permit. A carp, however, is another story, and Orvis is wise to avoid any claims with regard to this fish.

At 16,000 rpm you get about 50 mph for every inch of diameter. So, 1 inch = 50 mph; 2 inches = 100 mph; 3 inches = carp velocity; etc.

I have no problem believing that Bonefish can hit 40-50 mph. I've hook them and that type of speed is certainly what I would estimate the first run of the average bonefish to be. Smoking!!

Tell you what though, don't let Orvis build your Bonefish outfit. I did years ago, buying a reel, line and backing from them. First hookup on this reel left me with nothing but backing as the line to backing knot failed and the fish took the leader and a brand new line. Had a spare line thank goodness but I was ticked off.

Al

I concur with uptroutfisher. The arbor is what line line is connected to not the outside diameter of the spool. Their best case is when the line and backing are essential gone from the arbor.
    Arbor Calculatios:
    .75in =36 mph, 1 in= 48 mph, 1.5in =71 mph

all of these assume 16,000 rpm

To much math to figure out.
    Lets just say they are fast!

------------------
    **MW**

Anybody think to contact Orvis and ask them how they did the math, what assumptions they made etc, or if it is a typo? That might be too easy though all this conversation is way more fun.

-John

This thread is a good example of one of the advantages of large arbor design. The larger the arbor the less abuse of the drag, and your knuckle if you happen to get in the way.

------------------
    Joe

+ Reply to Thread