+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Spin rod with bubble and fly?

In 1970, I caught a 27" rainbow out of Timonthy Lake in the Oregon Cascades with the clear bubble method. The fly was a royal coachman bucktail. Slow retreive. I was using 4 lb mono, the fish put up a pretty good fight for over 1/2 hour. Brought a lot of "lookers" to the beach that beautiful sunny summer day. I remember this one guy running up and down the shorline with one of those little aluminum nets yelling "I'll net it for you!!". I asked him to stay away, my wife waded into the water and scooped it up on to the shore. One of my fondest fishing memories. I suppose a lot of "so called" rules were broken that day? Once I became comfortable with the fly rod, my whole outlook on trout fishing changed, most likely for the better.

Regarding the Trivia question of Lake Louise's previous, other name.
    Lake Louise first became known to the outside world on July 24th, 1882 when Tom Wilson, an explorer and route finder for the Canadian Pacific Railway (inevitably) was led there by a member of the Stony Indian band whose description of "the lake of little fishes" intrigued him. (But don't believe the "lake of little fishes story) At the time, Tom Wilson was engaged to be married to a certain Miss Thelma Mae Snodgrass. Due to an unfortunate accident in Thelma Mae's hometown of Turkey Nob, Kentucky, Themla Mae was run down by a runnaway moonshine wagon and died several days later. When Tom returned to Kentucky for the funeral, he met an fell in love with Thelma's younger sister, Louise. So instead of lake Thelma Mae, as they say...the rest is history.

Hi Gramps. I have used the Thill Ice Floats (all sizes) with stoppers and their BB weight system for years. Never tried it with dries, but wets, streamers,ect have been very effective. It is a little slower way to spin fish, nothing wrong with that, but once you get the weights & depth tinkered with and a good drift going, I have had some great days. It can be deadly. A bonus is not hanging up constantly and really keeping the fly in the zone. The setup will always be in my kayak this season if I decide that is the way to fish for the day.
    Bob
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

Why not learn to "cast a fly" with a flyrod? I've taught 6 and 7 year olds. They don't cast very far, but they've caught some nice fish.
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

Ronnie D
    Glad to hear that someone catches fish on Louise. I've been there at least 15 times (only fished maybe 3 times) and never seen anyone catch a thing. Used to take the rental canoes to the far side of the lake with the fly rod, but never caught a thing. Seen a bunch though, in the outlet stream as it flows underneath the asphalt walkway.
    Oh, and for those who haven't been...don't go, you wouldn't like it(wink, wink). It not like it sits in the most beautiful area in the world, hands down.
    Leave No Trace

Quote Originally Posted by bowfin47
    Why not learn to "cast a fly" with a flyrod? I've taught 6 and 7 year olds. They don't cast very far, but they've caught some nice fish.
    I already know how. Read the thread.

+ Reply to Thread