+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: up too late - funny story...

Default up too late - funny story...

We have a group of very green flyfishing couples. We're all about the fun - fish are a bonus. Anyway, I was fishing with one of these guys and his casting is just horrific. I've actually seen him break flies off on his back cast. His technique is pretty much all-out, 100 mile an hour buggy whip. So...with that wild casting in mind. He started calling me over to him but I was pretty busy stalking a trout. He was very insistant that I come over NOW! He was very still and I saw that he had hooked himself in the neck and burried it past the barb - not good. I tried my best but I could not get it out. Like the good, brave Navy pilot he is, he had me cut the line and he continued to fish for another couple of hours. His wife was not too happy. The local fire chief had to dig the thing out and was getting annoyed at my hubby for the laughing and photo taking. The photos are painful to look at but it made a good story.

The poor guy. I gues it just shows that patience and good casting skills are good virtues to have.

Fish 1
    Fisherman 0

------------------
    Best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
    Something I seldom remember to do.

Heaven,

Like the good, brave Navy pilot he is, he had me cut the line and he continued to fish for another couple of hours.[/
    Now that's what we call full contact fly fishing !!

(and welcome to the board)... love your pics

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:fddce]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:fddce]
    Christopher Chin

Hi Angela
    Sound like you need to learn the string around the bend of the hook, push down on the eye and pull, it works. Don't get to close to the person casting.

------------------
    Dean
    "A legend in my own mind"

There is more than one advantage to using barbless hooks.

So while you were stalking a trout he was hooking a sucker?

Thanks for the welcome! I'll try very hard to dig up a photo - I think they are on the other computer somewhere. The main problem was that hook hadn't come out the other side but the barb was in his neck so I couldn't pull it out or push it through. The fire chief had to force it through and make it come out the other end. Would the string around the hook have still worked in that situation? I do need to learn it.

It's a great technique! I always carry dental floss in my fly box...just in case. (Plain or mint, doesn't matter) Just loop it around the hook, at the bend, push down the eye end towards the skin, and quickly snap the ends of the floss, straight back (180 from the eye). The fly will pop right out. It is another reason to buy barbless hooks, or at least, bend down the barbs before fishing.

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Oh man that sounds so painful! Reminds me of tying a string around a tooth and a doorknob and slaming the door!

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Ouch! The only redeeming feature of this situation was that your friend sank the hook into his own neck. My experience has been that the maniac caster always manages to hook someone else. The same thing happens in pick-up basketball games; the person who plays like a charging bull elephant always ends up breaking someone else's foot or ankle. Still and all, double ouch! 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

+ Reply to Thread