+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many do you tie?

It takes me at least 143 flys just to get it right! Out of all those flys I choose the best 3. Later.

When tying a new fly, I find that the first couple don't come out as well as I would like. The third and fourth look pretty good. By the time I get to number six I start to change things or get bored so it's time to move on.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

I tie till I think I got a particular pattern right. Then I keep tying the darn things till for who knows what reason I get interested in a new pattern. Then the cycle starts again with the new pattern. I have tied more than a 100 of some patterns and never used them. I have been known to razer blade perfectly good flies just so I can tie some more when my hooks ran out. It doesn't have to even be a fly I would ever use. I tied over 150 Tom thumbs just because i really liked tying with the Elk.

If my life made sense , it wouldn't be my life.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I tie 3...one to fish...one to lose....one for backup

I think I will go to 4 though...one for the buddy I'm fishing with...if I'm catching and he isn't... with only three I hate to give my backup away

5. Default

Six in different sizes two of each say 10,12,14s.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

If I decide to tie a pattern, I'll usually tie a minimum of six. That way, I get the tying mechanics down well and allow several flies for bush/tree decoration and a freeby or two for other fishermen.
    8T

Six, for the first five usually aren't good enough. Takes me awhile to get into the rhythm. JGW

If I'm tying a fly I haven't used before, then I would probably only tie ONE.
    Just because I tie a NEW fly, doesn't mean I'm going to fish with it.
    The NEW fly has a long way to go to get in my rotation. If I have a GO TO fly that catches fish, the NEW fly is going to sit on the bench.
    Doug P.S. Ducksterman...BEE CAREFUL!
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

six in each size.

If it's a new pattern for me, I'll shoot for six "presentable" flies. That means I tie at least a dozen to get enough good ones.

Will

+ Reply to Thread