+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hook Sizes

Default Hook Sizes

Is there a reference of hook size to insect size in mm/in? A chart that shows me what size hook I need to match a "bug" that is 10mm long.

Blog Entries

I was doing a hook comparison, I checked three different brands of hooks all size 14, all the hooks were different in all aspects, I came to the conclusion that you do your best to size by eyeball.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I did my own list, by measuring the hooks I use most. But it's just hand written.

It depends on what type of insect you want to imitate. It's fairly simple for a mayfly, if the body is 10 mm that would be 12 according to Dick Pobst "Trout Stream Insects" An Orvis Streamside Guide. There is a chart in the front of the book that equates bug body size in mm with a hook size. Now it's get tricky with Caddis Flies. If you measure a Caddis fly and base your fly hook on length including the wings, you'll end up with a fly a lot larger than the natural really is. I learned that the hard way, tying up some Little Black Caddis on the size 16 dry fly hook whose shank length is 7 mm as recommended in the book. If you look at a caddis fly, you find that the body is about 60% the overall length of the critter. So for a caddis whose total length is 7 mm, the body is about 4 to 5 mm long. To get a close match to the actual size you need to tie the fly on a hook whose shank is 3 or 4 mm long. Otherwise with the overlapping wing, so common in caddis dries, you might end up with a fly whose overall length is maybe 12 mm. You need to take this in consideration for Stoneflies also.

Here's a quick summary of the chart in the book.
    Hook Natural
    8 2XL= 20 mm
    10 2XL=13-15 mm
    12 2XL=13-15 mm
    12= 10-11 mm
    14= 9 mm
    16= 8 mm
    18= 6 mm
    24= 3 mm

It may sound kooky but I keep a small 6" stainless steel scale (ruler) marked in mm at my tying desk and I have one with me stream-side.

When I am creating a new fly that imitates a specific insect; I measure the bug when and if I catch one, note the info and then use the scale at the bench to size up hooks and the finished creation.

Knowing the hook shank length ahead of times helps, but depending on how you construct the fly; (think extended bodies); the fished fly length is what counts.

I keep a similar ruler on my desk. I don't carry one with me on the stream, but I do carry a couple of small containers to bring home any insects I may catch. Once home, with better light and glasses, I can take my time looking them over and doing measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly
    It depends on what type of insect you want to imitate. It's fairly simple for a mayfly, if the body is 10 mm that would be 12 according to Dick Pobst "Trout Stream Insects" An Orvis Streamside Guide. There is a chart in the front of the book that equates bug body size in mm with a hook size. Now it's get tricky with Caddis Flies. If you measure a Caddis fly and base your fly hook on length including the wings, you'll end up with a fly a lot larger than the natural really is. I learned that the hard way, tying up some Little Black Caddis on the size 16 dry fly hook whose shank length is 7 mm as recommended in the book. If you look at a caddis fly, you find that the body is about 60% the overall length of the critter. So for a caddis whose total length is 7 mm, the body is about 4 to 5 mm long. To get a close match to the actual size you need to tie the fly on a hook whose shank is 3 or 4 mm long. Otherwise with the overlapping wing, so common in caddis dries, you might end up with a fly whose overall length is maybe 12 mm. You need to take this in consideration for Stoneflies also.

Here's a quick summary of the chart in the book.
    Hook Natural
    8 2XL= 20 mm
    10 2XL=13-15 mm
    12 2XL=13-15 mm
    12= 10-11 mm
    14= 9 mm
    16= 8 mm
    18= 6 mm
    24= 3 mm
    Hey Philly?

What brand of hook is Pobst measuring? I'm guessing Orvis/Tiemco. Or is it Mustad?

Thanks,

Steven

+ Reply to Thread