+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How not to spook brook trout?

as fcch already knows, i fish a lot for brookies. one thing i have noticed is that in my area (or the streams that i fish anyway) the trout dont seem to spook that easy. maybe its the water color? the streams i fish are very dark. i would say that in 2 feet of water the sun would have to be shinning on the water for u to see bottom. seeing trout before i cast is something that hardly ever happens unless i see them taking a fly off the surface. if i dont see that, than 99% of the time i am casting into a place and not knowing if there is a trout in there or not. If it looks good, i cast to it and hope for the best.

i have another spot that i fish for brookies and it is a deadwater on the uper side of ducks unlimited project. the only way to fish is with a canoe, and we paddle up to the back side where the channel in some places is only 5 feet wide in its narrow parts and only 10 feet wide in its larger parts and on average 3 feet deep depending on water level. literly not enough room to manouver the canoe 180 degrees. now i would guess that the boat would spook fish, but even after we have drifted over a spot, we are still able to catch fish in the spot. again, its very dark water and maybe i am lucky to be fishing in darker waters.

nate

Chris,
    Yes, I have heard that too...and at times I think its true! They can be easy to catch under some conditions but IMHO on heavily fished small streams...clear waters and bright and sunny skies can add up to some tough fishing. I've been told that any stream that favors Brook Trout production quickly becomes overpopulated and I think that it may be these streams that have given the Brookie that reputation.

Tyeflies,
    In my experience, even fishing with my 1 weight I've seen times when a floating tippet and leader will spook fish in shallow water when the sun is shining. My Blood knots cast a pretty awesome shadow that scares them, at least temporarily. Sometimes they return to see if its something to eat.

Ol' Bill

Snipe (Bill),

Maybe Brookies got the rep 'cause when the sport started, they were relatively abundant. They (in some conditions) will take an offering that looks like nothing natural on earth.

This is one of my fav flies for bruisers and I retrieve it at the speed of light 2 inches under the surface in medium to fast runs and large pools (hook #6)

(oh, ... in normal or high water conditions )

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:38da9]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:38da9]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 24 May 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

Thanks to all for the responses. You have given me some good ideas. I fished another
    creek & caught first stream trout (9"-brown) of season...tried longer leader,
    fished in the rain, avoided stepping on stones (vibrations), and made sure the line/fly landed softly. There are so many things to consider at once! I am grateful for all your shared experiences.

Learner,

Just take it one step at a time. If you get too caught up thinking, you might forget to have fun

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:ab643]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:ab643]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 28 May 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

Ayup! I agree with Reuel and probably almost everyone who has fished tiny streams for wild brookies agrees also. Those little devils can be a pain to catch but the eatin makes it all worth it....and in an over productive stream with wild trout IMHO no need to feel guilty about it!

Ol' Bill

Guys, here is the secret.

Use the force! Powerful it is.

Sometimes I feel like I need help from beyond to catch these fish. I'm getting pretty good at spooking fish though.

+ Reply to Thread