+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trolling motor on a Canoe

Default Trolling motor on a Canoe

I'm thinking about getting a trolling motor for my canoe (Old Town 16 ft), but don't know the first thing about doing it! I've seen trolling motor mounts for canoe's, so that won't be too hard to locate on-line - but as far as the battery - do you just attach the motor hook ups to the battery, keep the battery towards the back of the canoe where I'll be sitting, and away I go? Will I need to get a battery charger to re-charge my battery after use?
    Sorry for the ignorance......

YUP, NOPE,and YUP!

The motor has small alligator style clips, super easy to connect!.

When I use to have a motor on my 17 foot old town canoe ( gone the yak route now ), I would put the battery in the middle of the canoe to ballance out my canoe, the batteries are quite heavy; they are marine batteries, that discharge, and charge slowly, they are sealed.
    You will need a slow charge charger, in ourdays, most chargers do it all; slow and regular charge, and boost your car.

I use to have a motor on my 17 foot old town, you will not be disapointed, fun for trolling,and getting arround when there is a little wind.

If you do get a motor, try to get a slow discharge one, that economizes your battery power.

Also shop arround, and get one as powerful as you can afford.

The motor mounts are to make driving it easier, if you wanted to mount it to the side of the canoe you could do so, but it is a little uncomfortable to drive .

You also could make your own motor mount with a piece of wood.

Hope this helps!

chris from canada

Some thing to consider....

Use wheelchair batteries...

Advantages include deep cycle, sealed [can turn over and won't leak]...and especially ...lighter

Disadvantage...less battery life [this is a big one]

I use these batteries on my pontoon but I keep two...one lasts me most of the morning but it really depends on how you use it...full power against a wind can drain them....depending on the situation one can be recharged while using the other...my pontoon is only 8' and though I haven't tried the heavy ones I don't think I would like the weight.

Yes it is done all the time. My father used a 1 Horse Neptune (gas) on his Old Town in the late thirties mounting it on one of those side mounts. My own experience with canoes under power goes back to 1963.

Here's the standard no frills line on it.

I mention gasoline engines because small air cooled motors are around. The electric trolling motors are lighter, but the batteries make the total load heavier. Gas gives you a longer range since you are not confined to places where you can recharge every night. Just bring a can of appropriately mixed gasoline with you to top off the tank. Gas is noisier but it serves to get you into and out of the bush if you are going out for a week or more of canoe camping. Besides the noise another downside for gas engines is that on some urban and suburban waters they are not allowed.

Though the whole package of battery and electric trolling motor is heavier electrics are usually allowed on more waters. In many states boats operated under power must be both registered and display registration tags and numbers. Hand propelled boats need only display registration tags in most states. Some states do not even require tags. So check the regs for your state and the state(s) where you will operate the craft.

You will need a deep cycle marine or similar battery since automotive batteries do not tolerate deep discharge well and die sooner. You will probably have to have the battery in a case with a cover on it to be legal. For a boat under power you may be required to have a warning device (airhorn or whistle) and a fire extinguisher. Again check the state regulations. Caution: DNRs always check boats even if they do not seeem to enforce other fine points of law.

Balance is critical in a canoe. A tandem canoe requires two people unless you rig it so you sit in the middle or put a lot of balast in the front. Consider a solo canoe or kayak if you are frequently going out alone. Solo or tandem, wear a PDF all the time. The easy to wear Sospenders are great IMHO.

It is hard to stop once I start. This covers the high points.
    Bear742

nighthawk Guest

I have a 32lb thrust Minn-Kota on my 14 TK Rogue River canoe. I would advise going with a 40lb thrust model. Minn-Kota makes several nice entry level models that won't break the bank. check them out here:

http://www.johnsonoutdoors.com

The type of battery you buy will determine the expense of the battery. Lots of guys are going with deep cycle marine gel cells. Gel cells will not leak when tipped over but they are pricey and don't seem to hold their charge as long as lead/acid batteries.

Defiantly go deep cycle marine. I bough a deep cycle 12 volt battery and battery box at Wal-Mart for under $70 bucks. I also have a battery tender charger that one of our board members sold to me. A Battery tender will charge and then maintain full capacity on the battery where as a standard trickle down charger will only bring the battery to a full charge and then shut off. Check out the battery tender series here:

http://batterytender.com/product_info.p ... b005470712

I use an Old Towne side mount. They are about $80 bucks but well worth the price. Very sturdy and easy to attach. I bought a tiller extension from Bass Pro Shops and I sit in the center of the boat. I also used a heavy duty extension cord and alligator clips to extend the motor leads so I can put the battery anywhere ballast is needed in the boat, including the bow. Check your state regs and have fun. If you need a center seat for your canoe take a look at these:

http://stores.ebay.com/Bear-Creek-Canoe ... esstQQtZkm

I too used one on an old town 17footer but now have a kayak. Made a mount for that too, another story. All good advise above. Check your state regs, you may have to register boat if you put a motor on it. We do in California. If your like me you only have two hands and it is a lot easier fishing without having to paddle too. ha ha ha

Mike

Thanks so much for all the useful submittals from everyone. I really appreciate the effort. This board does not dissapoint!

Dear Brookie,

If the canoe and trolling motor battery will see either frequent or infrequent use I'd suggest you spend some more money on the battery and get an AGM battery. Optima makes the most popular AGM batteries but there are others.

The advantages to AGM batteries are numerous. They are considerably lighter than lead-acid batteries. A group 27 lead acid battery will weigh about 65-70 pounds depending on the manufacturer. A comparable AGM battery will weigh about 45-50 pounds. AGM batteries withstand many more charge/recharge cycles than lead acid batteries. They can also sit idle for long periods of time and be recharged. Partial discharge and charge cycles are rough on lead-acid batteries, they are not a problem with AGM's. You can cold store them with no bad effect, ex. you can leave it in your garage all winter and charge it and go. They are completely sealed and maintenance free and can be mounted in any position. They are spill proof and vibration proof.

The only downside is the cost. They run roughly twice as much money as a comparable lead-acid battery, however they generally last 3 times as long. I know people with 10 year old AGM batteries that still work as new. That kind of longevity is immpossible with a lead-acid battery. You will buy at least two lead-acid batteries in the same amount of time so the cost really isn't a factor unless you choose not to spend the extra money upfront.

Optima is proabably the most well known AGM battery manufacturer, but there are other makers such as Trojan and Exide.

To give you an idea I am on my 4th lead-acid battery in 11 years. I never spent less than $ 70.00 for one. An Optima D31 runs about $ 150.00. When my latest Interstate battery fails I will finally bite the bullet and buy an Optima.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

I bought a tiller extension from Bass Pro Shops and I sit in the center of the boat."

I forgot.

Golf still has a justification for its existence.

Most golf shops sell excellent tiller extension handles for Minkotas. They are the long tubes golfers put in their bags to keep thc club handles from rubbing on each other-$1-2.00. Just slip over the end ot the Kota's tiller. I used one of these from the center of my 17' canoe a time or 2.
    Bear742

Motors are for weenies
    Paddle power rules!

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread