+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flyrod with spinning reel

try this http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog. ... get=browse

its a convertible spinning/flycasting combo. ive used one before and its pretty cool. should do the job for ya.

The answer is NO. You can not cast a small fly with a fly rod and a spin style cast, the fly will not have enough weight to propel the cast.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Thank you ,Ray you answered the question

" Could I combine a flyrod with a spinning reel and light braided line to effectively cast (as in spinning casting not fly casting) very lightly weighted flies to fish smallmouth bass? "

The rest of the thread has drifted off into methods of using or adding weight.

I suppose "very lightly weighted" should be defined.

The answer is YES You can use a fly rod spinning reel and a fly. Use a fly rod spinning reel and mono for line and a small fly. If you need weight to sink the fly add split shot. You wont cast as far with the mono but it's great for gills and bass. Take line off the spinning reel and cast just as you do with a fly rod and fly line. Bill

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman
    I suppose "very lightly weighted" should be defined.
    In the neighborhood of 1/16 oz. Medium light steelhead rod may be an option I should look at. I admit the diversity of replies have me a little confused... but, I'll continue to sift through them and use the information to give me direction. Thanks

Steve, yes you can cast flies but with a spinning rod and a spinning reel by using a fly bubble from Netcraft they sell them. No need to put a spinning reel on a fly rod by using this bubble which was made for fishing flies with a spinning outfit. Check out Netcraft on the Web for your needs.

Hobo

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_IA
    I admit the diversity of replies have me a little confused...
    Now I'm confused... you asked a question to fly fishers and you expected a common answer?????

As an aside, I spent the 80's fishing for steelhead with the long spinning rod (I upgraded to a 11 1/2 footer) and spinning reel. One of my favourite lures was a #12 black stone fly nymph with two small split shots attached above. The place where I bought my flys didn't add weight to them. I'd cast a bit upstream and keep some tension on the line and let it drift a bit downstream. Repeat. I was essentially "hi-stick/czech nymphing".

"The place where I bought my flys didn't add weight to them."

but you just said you added weight

Steve;
    I had to go back to your original post several times to think of a proper answer. I have used a spinning reel on a fly rod. The reel, I beleive a Shakspere, had a front spade type trigger so you could release the line with your little finger. I used 4 lb. mono with a Thill long skinny slip bobber. It was sort of like throwing a dart when cast, very accurate and with the proper depth a deadly outfit for Blue Gills, Crappy and Bass. The 9 foot rod made for some good daping in the holes in the Lilly(?) pads. A Snelled hook with a light split shot and a worm!! Yep I have not only fly fished!!

You can fish with all kinds of flies, even dry flies, on a spinning rod. Do a google search for, "fly and bubble fishing," and you should get plenty of information on the subject. Of course, with streamers I think all you'll need is to add a few splitshots.

+ Reply to Thread