+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Line Basics

Default Fly Line Basics

Is there a good site or reference for fly line basics?

What I mean, is there something that I can read that explains how front taper, rear taper, belly length, etc. effect the function of the line? I want to understand these basics so that I can make an informed decision when I replace or buy new line.

which rod & what type of fishing will YOU be doing with this line?
    Later,
    Peter

Normand Guest

Heres Cortlands explanation of tapers etc

http://www.cortlandline.com/technical/t ... l#profiles

GOOGLE for the other manufacturers

There will be no reference available, all line makers use different formulas. You best bet would be to go to each line makers website to get the info you need, unfortunatly there is no standard as to the length of belly/head, etc. The only standard that exists is the weight of the first 30' of the line, but there is a range they should fall between, and thier weights even vary slightly between line makers and even between line tapers.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Default fly lines

Peter --

I have several rods from Spey rods down; however, what I am getting at is that the companies tout the short front taper to cast large flies, etc, etc. What I want to know, is whether or not there is any validity to what they say. Is there an objective "authority" or paper on the subject?? Or are we just caught up in the usual marketing hype that does away with something that is perfectly good for the latest and greatest "z-series" of stuff?

Was thinking the same thing yesterday...Orvis and Cabela's 2007 Flyfishing catalogs arrived...especially in Cabela's there are pages and pages of fly lines different companies and all with multiple tapers....bonefish, saltwater, tarpon, streamer, redfish, Striped bass, billfish, and on and on and on ....what is that all about ..it's mind boggling

Here is the deal. Fly lines are designed to do one specific purpose well. Its not all tapers with the different lines in the catalogs. Saltwater lines perform better in the salt because they are designed to combat the elements you will face in those types of conditions. Some lines perform better in cold climates because they are designed to do so,,,others are better in warm climates. Spey lines are designed to fill a specific need and that may be river specific,,type of cast,, wind,, or depth.
    The bottom line is they are made for a reason. The real question is whether or not you "need" a line for each type of situation???? The answer is no!!!
    One fly line will serve you well in a lot of different fishing situations. A DT in your rod weight is really all you need. But for those of us who are tackle whores,,, well,, we really,, really gotta have them
    Salmon Chaser
    Professional Salmon Chaser since 1988!!

IF you tend to ONLY throw large flies in the wind on Thursdays.... I'm sure you will find a line specific to that need.
    However, I think you'll find that most fly fisherpeople will attach them selves to a brand/model or price of fly line.
    I prefer DT on all lines 4 weight or less. I prefer the Rio Selective Trout. I prefer the duller colors. That doesn't mean I don't use other lines. That doesn't mean that while I like to fish smaller dry flies, sometimes I find the need to throw a heavier fly... I don't really want to switch lines, I just want to tie on a different fly...
    I comes to personal likes (of dislikes... I'll never use another Airflo) or what line is most compatible with the rod of choice.
    That all being said... marketing ploys abound!
    Later,
    Peter

Part 4 of Dr. Hanneman's Common Cents System discusses Fly Lines. http://www.common-cents.info/
    Better Loops & Singing Reels
    Lee

+ Reply to Thread