+ Reply to Thread

Thread: REMOVING FERRULS

Default REMOVING FERRULS

I've got a couple of Wards Thorobred rods that need some attention. I'd like to make one rod out of them by combining the two.The problem I'm having is removing the ferruls.I've checked and I don't see any pins in them, but I'm having a tough time getting them to budge.My question is...Just how much heat should I put on them in order for them to come free? I'm afraid I'm going to have flames coming from the rod if I'm not careful.
    John

Default ferruls

John, try putting a baggy over ferrul, to keep excess water out and get a pan with just enough water to cover them. Bring it too a good boil then using a glove try pulling them off. If there are no pins they should come off. If you get them off use JB Weld to glue them back on.

Hi John,

I removed the ferrules from a bamboo rod. I had never done it before and was aprehensive also. I tried the boiling water and it didn't work for me although it does work for others. I finally held the ferrules over a candle while rotating so the heat would distribute evenly.

If you go this route, aim the ferrule away from you because it will shoot off.

Good Luck with your project.

Steve
    Steve

I rotated the rod above my alcohol burner until I could smell the bamboo getting alittle hot.I was afraid I would catch it on fire if I left it on much longer,this baby is stuck.
    John

John,

As Clyde suggested, make sure there are no pins. The odor should not be a problem. Mine put off quite an odor as well. Take a rag and pull on the ferrule as you get it heated, it should begin to come off.

Steve
    Steve

Just a note of caution, I had a similar problem with an old cane rod.

I couldn't see the pins until I held the ferrule in a candle flame, as I wiped the soot off I could see a small dark ring where the pin was filed flush to the metal. Couldn't see any sign of the pin while the ferrule was bright and shiny.

I unfortunatly used too much heat and cooked the bamboo underneath. It was completly destroyed looking more like charcoal than bamboo. I only held it in the flame for a few seconds... Now I use the heat from a heat gun or boiling water method. Open flame is too hot.

Kengores' cautions should be taken seriously! I couldnt tell you how many sections have been ruined because too much heat was applied in removing a ferrule and when it finally did come off the ferrule station was splinters from the resulting explosion inside the ferrule from the trapped gases. On that Thoroughbred, you probably do have pins in it and in all liklihood they do not go all the way through both sides. Don't only look under where the wraps were but look in the slides as well, I have found them there numerous times. With as much heat as you have applied, if it were not pinned it should have come off by now.

+ Reply to Thread