+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Success! Spinning Deer Hair . . . . Diver #2 on the blog !!!

Default Success! Spinning Deer Hair . . . . Diver #2 on the blog !!!

I had the share, brag or whatever. I tried one of these last night and it failed badly. I clipped a thread while trimming the head. I had stacked in another color.

I decided this one would not get a 2nd color in order to keep things simple . . . I posted the pic on by blog.

http://flynut.blogspot.com/

wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Wayne; You go right on and brag some. You earned the right. Fly looks like a "Fetcher" to me. Have Fun. Jax
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

Wayne,

Nicely done! That is one good looking diver, the collar and diving collar look really good. The head is trimmed really smooth, did you use a razor blade or just scissors?

Regards,

Alberto

Wayne,

Nicely done! That is one good looking diver, the collar and diving collar look really good. The head is trimmed really smooth, did you use a razor blade or just scissors?

Regards,

Alberto
    I rough shaped it with scissors, then did the rest with a razor blade. The outside of the diving collar was done with scissors. The smoothness on the nose was a razor blade.

wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne

The fish are already lined up waiting to eat that, I'll bet! it looks good, keep it up.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

REALLY NICE!!!! SPECIALLY CONSIDERING ITS YOU SECOND ATTEMPT!!!!!

hey you look skilled with that razor, but just a tip if you ever find it difficult to use the razor (like me) try using an electric beard trimmer. they work awesome! very fast and smooth. thats my number one choice!

I did a couple poppers earlier this week.

For those wanting to try deer hair. DO IT . . I highly recommend Chris Helm's Spinning Deer Hair DVD/Video. It was a fantastic help. I also got my hair from Chris. I had some old hair and it's amazing the difference good hair makes.

I called Chris to order deer hair and he sent me an article of tips along with my order. He is a great resource out there for those wanting to get into spinning/stacking deer hair.

-wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne

For those wanting to try deer hair. DO IT . . I highly recommend Chris Helm's Spinning Deer Hair DVD/Video. It was a fantastic help. I also got my hair from Chris. I had some old hair and it's amazing the difference good hair makes

-wayne
    You aren't kidding. I tied a bunch of deer hair X-mas ornaments over the weekend and went through a couple of different packs of hair. The difference between packs was so evident when spinnin, it was amazing!

Excellent fly, by the way! Looks like a keeper!

Having the right deer hair goes a long way towards being able to spin nice bugs.

I'm lucky to have a fly shop (Stoneriver Outfitters) on my way home, a couple nights ago I stopped to get a patch of olive and a patch of black deer hair. I went through all their stock until I found the hair I wanted (and ended up with a patch of red and a patch of green that were too pretty to leave at the shop).

Ever since the shop opened I have stopped buying from catalogs, I'd rather spend a little more money but have the chance to pick the material/color I want.

Alberto

+ Reply to Thread