+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wrist for a beginner

Try this one:

It has helped me all the way. I am self taught with only teachers being experience, with a rather "scientific" aproach listing everything, what works and what doesn't, and reading. Best of all books read:

Fly Fishing Strategy by Doug Swisher, Carl Richards with illustrations by Dave Whitlock.

Great book hope it helps

Dave

The book I learned the most from was "Master the Cast". It really made a lot of sense to me and I highly recommend it.

Migs

YOu should not be using your wrist. Watch Mel Kreiger's The Essence of Fly Casting. It is one of the best videos for teaching someone to cast, and I would reccomend that anyone who is going to teach someone to cast also watch it.

Using your wrist creates a whole bunch of problems, while wrist casting may work if your fishing small streams, it WILL NOT WORK whn you must cast LONG or big rods. Your wrist has virtually no strength compared to your entire arm.

Also by casting with your wrist, you tend to open up your loops more. Line speed is dictated by the hurry up and stop at the end of the stroke, when you break your wrist, this stop happens more gradually. This means that you transfer less energy to the line, and you cast with a more open loop.

Again, watch the video, he clearly explains and demonstrates the correct motion.

Josh White [url=http://www.rogueflyshop.com:ea8c4]http://www.rogueflyshop.com[/url:ea8c4]

If you cast with a stiff wrist, the "Pivot Point" or "Fulcrum", is located at your elbow.

If you cast only using wrist action, the "Pivot Point" or "Fulcrum" is somewhere up the rod from the "Handle Grips".

Let the rod be the lever, that multiplies your casting speed to the line in the air, and the rods bending action, will cause the rod to load some of the energy, and transfer the energy back into the line, during the forward cast.

Try casting both ways, with the same rod speed, and see which gives you more distance, and better line control!

I have Severe Tendonitis in my casting arm (finger tips up to my shoulder socket), which is a permanent condition. So I do not have great arm strength, for casting. If I did not use the fly rod, as a lever,keeping the reel seat tight against my wrist, I would not be able to cast 50 to 70 feet.

You can flip the wrist at the end of the cast, as if it was a paint brush, and you were flicking paint onto a canvas. This helps the tapered leader shoot out from the fly line. But the flip is done at the end of the forward cast.

Another thing to remember, shorter casting motion for shorter distances, longer casting motion for longer distances.

~Parnelli

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 19 May 2005).]

While I was flailing away into a healthy wind in the Bahamas I was told to put a hankerchief under my armpit and utilize a sawing motion with the wrist uncocking as the line extends past you. This helped me.

The double haul is next.

I appreciate the above tips from our members
    thanks.

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

I had him out in the yard tonight and keeping his wrist straight, did much better.

I cant even get my students to walk in lock step, let alone relize that there is only one way to operate a fly rod. Its thoes darn rascals at the rod and line companies that keep manufacturing different rod tappers and line shapes. Oh and fly tyers, well dont even get me started with them. If we could just get mother nature to desighn the perfect fly fishermen, then of course only one opinion would fit and work perfectly for all. Perhaps I should invest in some of that cloneing stock. Things are certinely going to get a lot esier in the future.

------------------
    Captn. Paul Darby
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

+ Reply to Thread