+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Glue for Bamboo????/ Please Help

Default What Glue for Bamboo????/ Please Help

What is a good glue to use for repairing splits in the split bamboo rods. The rods I am refinishing are nothing special just some old HI's I'm turning two of them into banty rods for small streams and on a few of the sections the old glue is not working so well.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

I am going to tag along on this post. Got the same issue with a rod.

Hey Carp, grab one of those rods and join us for the rod swap! Looks to be a blast and we are just getting started.

Delaminations are not that hard to repair.
    1. inspect the delaminations closely to ensure that it IS just a glue separation...sometimes, it is a bamboo failure rather than a glue failure. If it is glue failure the delam sections will have a more smooth appearance to the edges that had been glued.
    2. Make sure that the bamboo is very dry and clean in the areas where the repair will be accomplished.
    3. Get some small pins to hold the delaminated sections apart while you fill the area with glue.
    4. on either end of the delaminated sections, use some small but very strong twine, and make several wraps around the bamboo where it is NOT delaminated to keep it from opening up as you start the repair
    5. Using the pins, spread open the delaminted sections and leave the pins stuck in there to hold it open while you apply the glue. Take great care that you do not create small indentions with the pins that are holding the bamboo open
    6. There are several glues out there that will do a great job for you, I like the Gorilla glue or any of the Urethane glues that are designed for wood applications.
    7. Usine a very small but stiff bristled brush, work the glue into the sections making sure that you get far more than enough glue in the delaminated portions than you need...the excess will soon squeeze out
    8. Remove the pins
    9. Now using more of the twine, tighly wrap the entire section that you have repaired to hold the delaminates pieces together while the glue sets.
    10. After about 20 or 30 minutes, the Gorillau glue will have foamed out of the repaired area. Use a damp cloth to remove the squeeze out, and the foam...this will save you a heck of a lot of work later.
    11. after removing the squeeze out, sight down the section to ensure the the repair is striaght, and lightly apply slight bending pressure to make it as straight as possible before the glue has completely set.
    12 either hang the section or lay it on a supported surface and let it dry...I usually give it overnight just to make sure that it is completely dry prior to working it out.
    13. remove the string that you wrapped it with and very very lightly, using very fine sandpaper, remove the glue that has adhered to the surface of the section

You are ready to build it out

As far as the glues go, you will hear the mention of Titebond II or III, and many others as well. Stay away from the epoxies, as they are not designed for the types of shear forces that will occur between the sections. I like the Gorilla Glue because of some test data I read from the National Forest Service ...

Good luck with your repair, and let us know how it goes!!!

Hope this helps

LD

Leo - by "small, but very strong twine" what do you have in mind? White cotton string? Something else? Or does it matter? Just not thread, right?

Jim, I use a nylon commercial grade sewing thread for the upholstery industry. This is about the diameter of a 10 lb test mono filament but significantly stronger so I can really tighten it a lot. I picked a spool of it up on eBay for like $3.00 and have enough to last about 500 years...

to your point, it doesn't really matter as long as you can tighten it tight enough to actually force all of the excess glue out and achieve a very tight fit. the twine used in a glue binder for making bamboo rods would work perfectly...

Not very hard to do at all...
    Follow Leo's direction to a T if you can. A couple of months back I had to reglue a Heddon mess and his instructions were right on. The only thing I would add is try to set enough time aside to do ALL the splits (if you have multiple splits) at one time. I did 3 out of the 4 sections and the last tip is still waiting for me for the last 3 months. This has kept me from wrapping and completing this wonderful rod.
    The nylon upholtery thread can be found at any thread/fabric store if you don't ebay.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

I have reglued many rods doing the same.
    But, the repaired area wood/bamboo must have moisture .
    As these glues need to moisture for the correct bond.

BDC
    Bamboo rods were made to fish, so fish them.

BDC

Yes you are correct. The directions on my glue requires that you wet the surfaces to be glued.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Thanks for all the responses. I am going to give it a try in about two weeks. I will keep you posted.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

As I've said in other threads Gorilla Glue is great stuff but if you do not ventilate properly the dust created by sanding it is highly toxic. Normal dust masks are not fine enough to protect you from it and if your shop is in the house your subjecting your entire family to it. Be very careful.

Tom

+ Reply to Thread