+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gps units

I started with an RDF, moved up to Loran and have since been through 3 Garmin units. My newest is the Map76S. It's a bit chunky... and maybe a little overkill but is loaded with useful features.

The main use I have is bailing me out when I get lost on mountain roads (or the two-tracks around the Black River in Michigan!)
    Just take the lat-longs off the GPS and transpose them to a newer Delorme map book and you're home free.
    Even the most basic of units should give you lat-longs.

[This message has been edited by Jackster (edited 18 May 2005).]

I know of at least one fly shop which will give you the co-ordinates of the hot spots on a couple of rivers (especially if you are a good customer.) Could be really helpful say during the Hex Hatch?

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Thanks for the great input! I think I am gonna go with the Vista C. It has good memory size, battery life and most features the Legends come with as well as the Map76 series. The screen seems easy to see being color and is small to fit in a pocket or small pack.

Again, thanks for the great input. also, I think I know what geocaching is (treasure hunting in a way).... is that correct? any explanation here would be cool so I have one other reason to play with the new toy!

------------------
    Tight lines,

Jeremy Barela
    www.customflys.com

+ Reply to Thread