+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cabelas rods

Default cabelas rods

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with cabelas FT rods? I was thinking about building a seven weight this winter. the price is pretty hard to resist. thanks

I cast a 9' 5 wt FT at the local Cabela's...its been a couple of years. They have a pond beside the store where a guy from the fly shop had several rods stung up for folks to try.
    I picked up the FT. It was fast as I recall...not totally unlike a Sage RPL...trying to showoff I cast it across the pond to the other bank....It does not strike me as finess rod...but could be...it would be a good allround rod IMO

I have never cast a Cabela's house brand rod I didnt like including the $50 Three Forks

I was told ( a few years ao) by someone that worked at the KC Cabelas (I will assume that this ite same store that Jerry is mentioning), that the FT was built with a GL3 blank. This was about 4-5 years ago, and may have changed since then of course.

Well, Jerry is a solid caster and knows his rods. That sounds good and if the FT is built on the GL3 blank it's a good rod. I don't think Gary Loomis would lend his initials to a series (GL3) if it wasn't a pretty good family of rods. Neither Cabala's nor G. Loomis are sponsors here, but I will still stand with the GL3 rods as being very good.

I have a 9wt FT. it is a fast rod and punches through the wind. It is not a very forgiving rod. Without question, I would buy another.

Thanks for the replies I just ordered the blank
    will let you know how i like it

As with any rod, be careful you don't'over build' it. Keep wraps, coatings, everything, as light in weight as possible.

+ Reply to Thread