+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GOLDEN PHEASANT

Default GOLDEN PHEASANT

Hello , I am having problems tying in golden pheasant tippets and crest feathers. They always twist and turn on me.I've tried crushing the stem,helps some. Does anybody know a better way? thanks

Default I can give you the answers...

Go to www.flytingforum.com and search in the "Classic and Artistic Salmon Fly Tying" forum. If you can't find the answer post a question and you will certainly have your answer. Last week there was a great post on the crests. I post as Matt Inman on FTF. Let me know if you need any more help.

Hi George,

While I personally am not qualified to answer your question, their will be some great people be answering your question shortly.
    Steve

Hi George,

Try here. http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/at ... sson1.html

Happy Trails!
    Ronn
    Happy Trails!
    Ronn

http://ronnlucassr.com/

Are you using individual tippet fibers for tailing a dry fly or the whole feather for a streamer? I guess in both regards, it can be a thread tension and material control problem.

Be sure to pinch the materials above the hook. Add a loose wrap and then tighter ones before you let go of the material.

Individual fibers can be tied in at a slight angle to the hook and allowed to slide up to the top of the hook as the thread is tightened.

Lots of good advise already.

HARRISVILLE what state ??? you might live close to me.

JaD
    Fish like predator.

Are you laying down a wrap of thread first or just tying to the bare hook?

If you coat the thread with sticky dubbing wax, before you dress the hook shank with thread, the dubbing wax will help hold the material in place when you secure the material with a thread wrap. Helps to prevent the material from moving and twisting as the thread is tightened.

I make my own waxes using the Marvin Nolte recipes in Tying Tips. I add a couple of drops of food coloring to the containers to keep track of which is which....
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/tyingtips/part139.html:7dbec]Wax for Fly Tying, by Marvin Nolte[/url:7dbec]

Another thing you can do is make a few wraps and then grab the waste end and pull up on it to bring it to the top of shank and adjust it . then when your happy with it tighten and make a few more wraps if the feather is bent try weting it down and laying it on a flat surface to dry.

+ Reply to Thread