+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ray Bergman's "Trout" Hand Twist

Default Ray Bergman's "Trout" Hand Twist

Friends:

Im reading Ray Bergman's "Trout" and he describes his hand twist retrieve. Can someone explain this to me better? I can't quite get the picture of how to execute it.

Again, thanks!

Migs

I'll try but this is a case were words aren't the best tool for instruction.

With the line between your thumb and index finger of your line hand the remaining 3 fingers are rolled up to capture the line and pull a section back into your palm. You hold that loop in the palm and reach up to capture another. It's easy to vary the speed at which you do this and therefore slow down or speed up your retrieve while the twisting motion also affects the motion of the fly.

Rig a rod and reel and practice, you'll soon get the technique.

Al

I can't explain it in words, but the retreive is extremely practical.

Speed is easily controlled and, you keep a constant tension on the line. With your rod pointed DIRECTLY at the fly ('specially on lorge pools and still water), you are ALWAYS connected directly to the fly.

The slightest touch and you'll feel it vs stripping. Great tactic for walleyes as they don't take and turn, but rather, "inhale" a fly.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:ac8ed]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:ac8ed]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 10 May 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

I think I got it! Thanks for the explanation. Certainly seems simple enough.

Migs

Dear J Castwell:

I should have searched first and for this I apologize, but I still like dryflie's explanation better! Figure 4 in the article you link to would probably lead me into quite a tangle.

Migs

Hi Grand poo-bah:

I found in your wife's article a beautiful picture of you two to go along with the face I type to in this forum. (you)

Thanks always for sharing your insights, experience, and humor not only with me, but with all of us.

Migs

I started using a hand twist retrieve in my float tube this season. I just let the line fall onto the apron as it is retrieved. The 'gills and bass really like the subtle start-stop action, and you have constant touch with the fly. Try it -- style doesn't matter.

+ Reply to Thread