+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Smoky Mountain National Park Area

Default Smoky Mountain National Park Area

We're starting to plan our family vacation for July 2007. One idea that was offered up was to rent a cabin in the Smoky Mountain National Park "area" that would allow us access to fishing, the park, etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations of where to stay, where NOT to stay, cabin rentals, etc?

We have to rent a cabin because of logistics this year so camping is not an option.

Thanks for any suggestions and recommendations.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

My wife and I went to Bryson City, NC a couple of years ago for our anniversary. Fantastic little town, not too touristy, just nice. We stayed at a great B&B (forget the name). Was a nice location, close to fishing and hiking. It is right outside one of the entrances to the park. There is a flyshop in nearby Cherokee, NC which is quite touristy. We fished the Upper Occonoluftee River in the park with Willie Cope of Smoky on the Fly Guide Service (http://www.smokyonthefly.com/). Had a fantastic time and I cannot recommend Willie enough, he is really great! We also fished and hiked alongside Deep Creek north of town which is also beautiful. Try http://www.greatsmokies.com/ for more info on this area. I am jealous! I would go back there in a heartbeat!

If you plan on staying on the TN side I would contact Little River Outfitters, there are motels, hotels and B&B's very near there shop. The little river is minutes away, the Smokey Mtn National park is minutes away. They should be able to recommend accomidations and can recommend flies and gear. They are a great shop. I am not associated with them in any way except as a very satisfied customer. John

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Townsend, TN is a great place to be if you want to fish and see the national park. Little River Outfitters is there along with many fishing guides and great places to stay. You can check out the following link for information.
    http://www.randrflyfishing.com

I used R & R to guide my last visit and had a great time. They also have several books they have written about fishing in the Smokies that were very helpful.

You will have a great time in the Smokey Mountains.

This is about 15 minutes from my home and my wife and I try to rent a cabin for a few days each year around our anniversary. www.lakelogan.org
    80 acre lake full of trout, bluegills and bass plus the West Fork of the Pigeon River within sight of the cabins. Great staff and the price per person includes all 3 meals each day, and the food is great.

Bryan

+ Reply to Thread