+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first timer

Default first timer

i don't know much about rod building but i am trying to fix a boo that i got at a auction. how do you replace guides?

Warm Water

Now that you've gone over to the dark side, welcome home!!
    To remove the old guides.
    First - Record the Guide Spacings
    Second - Cut the windings On TOP of the GUIDE FOOT!! with a sharp knife.
    Do Not cut or nick the rod!!
    The thread will come off fairly easy and you can use an old credit card or something similar to scrape off the remaining varnish/Epoxy.
    If you are not in a big hurry to refinish the rod I have a couple of rod building videos I lone out to members getting started. Both are out right now but should be back in a week or so.
    Take your time, you've got a nice winter project there.

thanks Jack, i want the rod for display with everything original that can be. i need an old guide for the rod, because a new one wouldn't go with the vintage look. if anyone has an old guide lying around please let me know.

Thanks,
    Warm Water

Default first timer

WWFisher, Display it after you get some fish DNA on it. Once ya get a Boo on the water and learn the rythem there is nothing to compare

WW What Clyde said!!

will do

Rick's Rods of Denver stocks a nice selection of vintage guides. Great folks to deal with...

http://www.ricksrods.com/

Once you have rewrapped your guide. Put it in a sock and then a very safe/strong tube. Throw the tube in your truck along with a reel w/line, your vest, waders, and go fish it.
    Since it's not a family heirloom (auction), it'll never bring you as much joy on the wall as it will when it pulses with a fish at the other end.
    Jack Hise has it dialed-in for you to repair. I'd only recommend you use varnish for the wraps if you want to keep it "vintage".
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

kengore that site does sell guides but i believe they are new. i won't something that looks like it has been used a lot, not something new

Warm Water

ww...
    I have a ton of "take offs" what do you need in the way of guides, I have some of everything I think. Have a few tricks for making the thread look really old too if you are interested.

+ Reply to Thread