+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homebuilt Wrappers

I posted mine on an earlier thread, but here she goes again. Im working on a way to make one of my supports moveable, but the moveable thread sure helps.
    Hare

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati .... "When all else fails...Play dead"

I'd post a picture but I can't bring myself to waste the electrons on a picture of a cardboard lid with notches and a few holes for a tying bobbin. Hey, I've only built one rod.

So far.

Swen, we've all been there. Did my first bamboos redo's with a cardboard box set up. It's not hard (or at all expensive) to set up a more stable station. Give it a go.

Harebear, I think it actually makes a lot more sense to have a moving thread tray (or uprights) than moving guides. No additional contact points to fray the thread as is my with my design. Good idea.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

4. Default

I'm sure a did a lousy job describing my thread tension method...or everyone who looked at it is still dying laughing!
    I'm responding to a question by Wednesday Caster who suggested I put it in this thread.
    In a nutshell the idea is this. The tying thread is in a lightweight bobbin and the tying thread from the bobbin goes through a screweye in the ceiling. From the ceiling screweye, the thread goes to your tying bench. The bobbin and thread is hanging from the ceiling screweye. Gravity supplies the tension. This allows you to wrap fwd and bkwd without losing tension.
    Picturing this, go back to my thread "a better thread tensioner?" for more details.
    Cracker

Cracker,
    Thanks for your description. Does that mean you've got about 3 yards of line out from the wrapper to the bobbin dangling from the ceiling? Is there any problem with the line slipping through and having to rethread? I'm not being critical of your design just curious. My current tensioner and guides systems ruins my thread and I'm looking for ideas to improve since DLeo just shared some silk with me.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

6. Default

Yes Quinn,there is 2-3 yards 0f thread in the air. And yes, losing the thread is one of the drawbacks.I pull it under a piece of cork secured to my wrap station after cutting a wrap off. Have had no problems with line fraying.
    Regards, Cracker

+ Reply to Thread