+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how do you solve this problem???

Default how do you solve this problem???

No matter what i try, i cant tye more 3 flies per sitting, because my back gets so soor, i cant tie any more. ive tried keeping my back straighter, sleeping on harder mattressess, and more, but i cant solve the problem. i love to tie flies, so i would love to here how you fixed your problem. thanks

tie at a taller desk or on a lower chair so you dont have to look down at the vice so much. i had the same problem but got a different desk and now my vice sits higher, this solved the problem for me.

Warm Water

Hi,
    I agree, raise the vice is the most likely solution. I used to sit in an easy-boy type chair, and attach my vice to the seat of a dinning room chair. Basically, I was hunched over the vice, and my back would get sore as well.

I picked up a TV dinner tray table, and with the vice attached to that, it's a much better height and that has helped reduce the strain on my back.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

also tie with a light colored backround behind your vice to reduce eye stress

Warm Water

Default Re: how do you solve this problem???

Quote Originally Posted by fishy guts
    No matter what i try, i cant tye more 3 flies per sitting
    Tie faster.

Seriously, I have lower back pain, and just sitting hurts after awhile. I tie a few, get up walk around and stretch, tie a few more.

Default I have a fairly expensive desk chair ...

over $200, since I am self-employed at a home office - where I tie at my desk in the evening. It is a tall one so there is support up to my shoulder blades. The chair is adjustable for height and back angle, and is spring loaded so the back is always against mine wherever I lean. Also, adjustable arms provide support when I want but can be lowered out of the way. I don't have/need the headrest, but it is basically like [url=http://www.officedepot.ca/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=277968&N=253642&An=browse:ab6 9d]THIS[/url:ab69d]. A GOOD chair and the proper vise height are the keys IMO.

I've got back problems and can only sit for for about an hour before I'm hurting bad. I started tying on a spare bed and using a small tray that sits over my body and a clamp on vice. My head and back partially propped up by a couple of pillows I can tie for longer periods of time and with alot less pain.

Default Good chair!!!!

Fishy,

Greg nailed it.

Sitting should NOT be painful. If you are experiencing back pain, even if you have had a back injury in the past, the proper chair along with the correct table height should relieve it.

It doesn't have to be a particularly expensive chair, but you do need it adjustable for height, and for lumbar support. Any decent wheeled office chair should suffice, and if cost is an object, you can get good used ones at many office furniture stores.

Most folks set their chair seats too high causing you to hunch over while working.

You want to sit comfortably, back straight, arms at elbow height or slightly raised. Don't 'lean in' to get closer to the fly, move the chair closer to the desk.

If you can't figure out what height/type of chair will work comfortably for you, consult your back doctor or a physical therapist. Those folks can figure it out for you.

Good luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

This is probably not what you want to here but most back problems are caused by weak muscles.
    I have spent more hours in PT over the last 30 yrs to be a living testament.
    A good chair is crucial but exercise is what will cure the problem. Consult your doctor.

I have a bad back (slipped disk 3rd Lumbar), causing the Sciatic Nerve to my lower limbs to become pinched. Sitting is the worst thing for a bad back, what you have to do is brace the spine while sitting or standing, for long periods of time in one place. The solution is very simple, you need a box that you can rest one of your feet on (about 9 to 12 inches in height), this will brace the back, and relieve the strain on the spinal column. ~Parnelli

+ Reply to Thread