+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Teddy Bear Kills Trout...

Default Teddy Bear Kills Trout...

Here's an article which I saw on the local news this morning...I'd like to know the size of these fish...

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/15004927/?GT1=8506

When I worked at the state hatchery one of the "fun" jobs was cleaning the tanks and removing dead trout.
    It was very slippery, no felt soles allowed.
    Snakes and frogs were common. One day there was a weasel.
    A tank of 2500 would most likely hold trout 9"to 12".
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Sounds like a nice load of next seasons trout which won't be caught...

Those would most likely have been fall stocked fish
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Perhaps the Paddington Bear Company should change their cloth warning label sewn into bear's butt to include.

CONTENTS: ALL NEW MATERIAL, PLUSH AND FILLING (FILLING: POLYSTER FIBER & PLASTIC PELLERS) NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CHILDREN OR FISH UNDER 3 YEARS OF AGE) MADE IN TAIWAN.

What I think is even funnier is the tag that is normally located on the front of the stuffed toys.

Am I the only one here thinking there just might be a design flaw in the recirculation filter screens? This was not the first time debris clogged the filters.

Having kept aquarium fish for many years, I know that tanks require daily checks for dead fish getting sucked up into the filter intakes, and if left unchecked will lead to the same results as the article states, albeit on a smaller scale. The DNR might consider a large mesh outer screen as a prefilter to capture large articles (like Padington Bears) before they cover the finer screening. If they like, I'll ship them some 1/4" galvanized hardware cloth bent into a box shape to cover the intake screen if their budget is tight. That's better than losing 2,500 trout because of budget constraints. I'll even include the stainless washers and fasteners.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I was thinking the very same thing while I was in work today...shouldn't there be some sort of pre-filter or skimmer to take out the "larger" objects that could cause serious problems in the system?

What I found even more amusing was the fact that they put up signs warning that teddy bears dropped into the tanks can kill the fish...so I'm guessing that any other stuffed animals of any size, shape, or color could be dropped into the tanks with no ill effects...it's just Paddington who's the killer here...better call the NAACP...seems there's some profiling going on here.

-Pemi

I predict a new nitch market for Paddington bear filters. Specifically designed for their odd and menacing shape.

This bear must be saved. It's just too cute.
    The trout must also be protected but the bear is really cute and needing a good home right now.
    There has to be a balance somewhere. I'm liking the suggestion for the "large item" filters on the pools. Heck, I thought they had those things already. Oh well. I'm sure they will really soon.
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

+ Reply to Thread