+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New guy with paddling question

Little late with this -

I'm currently starting a pair of Birders in my shop. One is for my wife to use for photography of birds and other wildlife for her paintings.

The other will be for me to use to fish from. I fish the back lakes and saltwater sloughs around the Texas coast, both with conventional tackle and fly rods.

I tried a Birder while we were at a sailing rendezvous in P'cola this spring. Very nice little boat. You can call Graham, the designer, for one to one discussions on any mods you'd like to make. He's quite available to any of his builders. Of course, the next several weeks he won't be cause he's heading down under for a while

I've built three of his designs so far- one for myself ( a dinghy for our sailboat) and two larger sailboats for customers. Will be starting a 20 footer for another customer as soon as I get our Birders "3 D" as we say.

At any rate- built to specs, the Birder should run under 40 pounds, be quite stable, as far as kayaks are concerned and easy to handle. I'm thinking of modifying the cockpit slightly for more gear storage aft of the seat. Not much-- just enough to fit something like a milk carton in there.

Further on the subject of the 13 Birders- here's a pic of the two I started Thursday night a week ago. They are now glassed on the bottoms and will soon be getting interior and deck work done. Hope to be paddling with in another 10 days. Each one currently weighs under 24 pounds-

How about this plan?

The website has lots of plans.

http://www.boatdesigns.com
    Have fun.
    Gary

mtb4jc, beautiful canoe. Did you build it? I have the plans for a strip canoe in my collection of plans. I will build one someday.

Charlie, been following your progress on the messing-about forum. I have Birder plan #75. Will be starting it this winter soon as I get the D%^$ minicup done. It is moving along though.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Kewl!! Ours are #73 and #74

Got the decks all trimmed, edges rounded and the decks epoxied today. Tomorrow I'll sand that and put the final coat of Epoxy on the decks. Carlins, coamings, and paint and varnish and I'M gonna go find some redfish!!

I'm behind my hoped for schedule because it took 12 days for some fasteners to get here- US parcel post must be using pony express. Also behind because the Core Sound 20 for my customer keeps getting in the way damned paying work getting in the way of my fun!!

Watch B and B forum- the CS 20 went 3D today.

Tnis was last night on the Birders- the CS 20 is the panels on the floor.

+ Reply to Thread