+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Southern California fly fishing locations - Please advise

Jonathan,

Gee, I hope you don't feel I steered you in the wrong direction, or that one experience with one person at one shop made you feel any less inclined to pursue this interest.

Spending $150 on an entry-level rod is more than adequate and will give you numerous options. As you can see, Marriott's catalogs many rods in your price range and should welcome your patronage and provide plenty of service after the sale.

Naturally I am sympathetic toward the saleperson's pending loss of his close friend. That's a truly difficult issue, and it may have contributed to his inability to assist you. I don't argue or question his talent, skill or reputation as an angler either. However, I do think a little regard to basic customer service skills would have left you feeling better. Abandoning a customer for any reason is a CS no-no. You are wise to take this interaction with a grain of salt, and hopefully your next encounter will not result in someone trying "to pass you off to someone..."

Quote Originally Posted by JL
    Jon,
    I am sorry you felt that I left because you were only spending $150 for a rod. In truth, I didn't handle this very well. I should of expained to you that I was suppose to leave at 4pm from Marriotts and that I would get someone to help you. As I expained to you, after your statment of "not being the kind of customer you would liked to have" my wife had called and reminded me that we were suppose to be on our was to visit a very close friend of 30yrs that is dieing from ALS. You told me you understood and that you were sorry you made that statement.

Jon, you do not know me and I don't know you. Of all the people in the shop, I am one of the ones that would have help you the best had I had the time. I tried to pass you off to someone that would do the same. Perhaps, you should go to Google and enter my name and see what you get. You will see that I am very involved in the industry and well respected.

Again, I am sorry I offened you and look fwd to having another chance to help you. If you are ever in need of some helpin casting or have any question, please give me a call at 310-749-6771.

BTW, Steve was not working yesterday, I think you talked to Brant and Alex.

Regards,
    Joe Libeu
    Joe,
    Perhaps I read to much into the whole thing. I think I entered the store with the same mentality most people enter a car salesman's lot, and was prepared to be fed to the wolves. (As I mentioned I had just recently read http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/v...ic.php?t=12649)

When you explained why you suddenly needed to take off, I did indeed apologize to you saying I understood. I did this in hopes that the other staff on hand would not take offense and treat me poorly as well. After haveing a day to cool down and also after reading your post I would like to publicly say I do accept your apologies and sincerely offer mine as well. We obviously started on the wrong foot and I look forward to meeting you again next time I am in the shop to make ammends face to face.

-Jonathan

Jon,
    Thanks for the reply. I look forward to helping you any way I can. If you are interested, I am at the Long Beach Casting Club almost every tues. night about 6:30PM. I would enjoy chatting with you and if you would like, we can take a look at your casting. If I can help you in this area, I would like to do so.
    Again, I am sorry I left you in the learch and look fwd to getting together with you. If you need to contact me via email, here it is. Fishlgf@ix.netcom.com
    Thanks again,
    Joe Libeu

Jonathan,

What you might consider is visiting, and then if you like it, is joining one of the local clubs. Near you is the Fly Fishers Club of Orange County that meets the 4th Thursday of the month at the Phoenix Club. It is a dinner meeting featuring a speaker on a particular fly fishing topic. In addition, they have clinics and outings. Their website is www.ffcoc.org. The other club nearby is the Long Beach Club which Joe Libeu referenced in a previous post. Hope this helps.

All good advice. Let me add this. If you want good, specific information on fishing in Southern California and the Sierras, visit this site and their forum:

http://www.kernriverflyfishing.com

Also let me know if you head up to the Kern, which is the closest good trout fishing to you, I'm often up there and we might be able to get together for some fishing.

Jonathan,
    A good bit of FF'g in So Cal is in the surf. Try this site for local activities...
    http://www.garybulla.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

+ Reply to Thread