+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Hills, South Dakota ?

Default Black Hills, South Dakota ?

Trip of a lifetime, or trip from hell!

Cary said it best, ? That was a pretty fun trip?once you quit throwing up!? Actually there were a few days where I wanted to die, and then it was I was afraid I wouldn't. What a lousy way to take a trip! Tea, toast and Pepto Bismal! At least I got some knitting done, and some pretty good pictures of fall colors, even if I didn't get much fishing done.

Water conditions were abysmal. Reservoirs were running 12 - 15 % of capacity. Falls were down to a trickle. Rushing streams were low and slow. Didymo has invaded a number of streams.

On the other hand, deer populations are up. Wild turkeys are everywhere (including running down the center of highways!) The fall colors were spectacular! Peak of the season in Spearfish Canyon. Banner year for buffalos and burros.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I for one am glad you're back! Sorry you were ill, Elliott had mentioned it on the phone, so we've been concerned here. Thanks for the report.

Hi Betty,

Sorry to hear that you spent a lot your trip sick. We love the Hills, too. Just curious where you are talking about? Is it all in the Spearfish Canyon area? We stay in Silver City, and fish mostly on Rapid Creek above Pactola Reservoir. It is sad how low the water levels have gotten to over the past few years. The Black Hills need snow, and lots of it. I?m also interested in the Didymo. Where did you see it?

We saw a lot more wild life than in previous trips. The funniest thing we saw was a flock of wild turkeys standing by the side of the road in front of a ?No Hunting? sign. Wished I had my camera!

Craig

P.S. I just searched for Didymo on the South Dakota GF&P web site. Now I'm a little more informed of the situation. Thanks for your report.
    Rev. Craig

Craig,
    We were in the Custer area, all through the Hill City area (Castle, Rapid, Deerfield, Pactola), and the Spearfish areas (Spearfish, Little Spearfish, Hanna).

Didymo has been found on Rapid Creek at Mystic, and below Pactola on the Rapid Creek.

At Pactola you can see the foundations of the old Church Camp that have been covered by water for decades, the water is so low. Rapid Creek above Pactola, near Silver City has water in it, but it's terribly low and slow. We were pleased to see small fish in RC (at Silver City), as it seems like it's been years since there apeared to be natural repopulations of browns in it.

In all the years we've been going to the Hills, we've never seen the water so low. It rained hard one of the days we were there and we couldn't even grumble about it, they need the moisture that badly. It also snowed about 4 inches last Monday, but that was just plain beautiful! I don't know what the solution is, other than they need rain/snow and a lessened dependence on the reservoirs for irrigation. The demand far out strips the supply.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

Water Levels are on the comeback we had a very wet May and even August has given us some relief from the drought with rain and lower temps. Should be a good fall and much improved fishing conditions next year. Did I tell you there are no trout in SD.

Smile

Betty -

Welcome back !! Got to admit, not knowing how long you guys were going to be gone, that I was getting a bit worried. Sorry that you had a rough time of it, but glad to hear from you.

Guess I better fess up, cause you'll probably find out anyway. While you were gone, we got a new member from SD - a fellow named Sagellbean. Couldn't help asking about the NO trout. Sorry, Sagell spilled the beans.

But you know we won't spread the didy... ah, the word.

Did you get some pics of the wildlife and fall colors to share with us ??!!

John
    The fish are always right.

Two years ago in Sept. I was in the Black Hills. It was a site seeing trip, not a fishing trip. Almost every little stream I saw was dried up. I sure hope that things are getting better. It's a beautiful part of the country and I hope to get back there soon. This time I will have my fly rods with me.
    Last edited by ridgeliner; 09-13-2008 at 01:37 AM.

"Betty -

Welcome back !! Got to admit, not knowing how long you guys were going to be gone"....

Hey, John, looks like she was gone a couple of years

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sagellbean View Post
    <snip> Did I tell you there are no trout in SD.

Oh no. Betty has infected him with the Troutless in SD blues...

We still love ya, Miss Betty.

Ed

"banner year for buffalos and burrows" i want to see pics! please?
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

+ Reply to Thread