+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What one thing helped you catch more fish?

Fish more. Catch more.

I used to drive all day to get to fishing locations. Now, I live right on bank of the Yellowstone River all summer and I've fished the past 90 days straight. This sure helps the catch rate.

Ironically, I started to have more success when I actually stopped fishing if you know what I mean. Fishing to me is just putting a line out there and hopefully something will take it. Well, when I got that out of my head and started to be more deliberate and less locked in to any one thing may work I began to have more success. But, it wasnt just one thing its been a whole lot of things, mending, presentation, stealth, sitting on the bank and just watching, all of these have played a role too.

wireguy

What has helped me most over the years is more experiance. You have to put your time in. I would like to think I get a little better every year and that I am still teachable.

Waders.
    Also, tying my own flies helped with the bug part.

5. Default

The one thing that has helped me most is confidence. You have to believe you will catch fish, and confidence mostly comes from catching fish (seemingly a conundrum). Confidence has helped me catch more fish, even in difficult situations.

I would suggest that the new fly fisher try a stocked catch and release stream (they are referred to as delayed harvest streams in my area). They are great practice streams. Then move to the more difficult wild streams afterward, where the fishing can be more challenging. This is the process that I and my son have used (we are learning together).

Ozzie Ozefovich's series of DVDs, the bits about counter currents in particular.

These DVDs forced me to think more about what i was actually doing while i was doing it.

Default Fish more....

A couple of guys touched on it.

Fish more. Try to fish with someone that knows how or is better than you are as often as you can, but fish. Hire a good guide when you can afford it, but make sure to tell the guide you are more interested in how 'to' rather than how 'many'.

But, regardless of where or with whom, fish as often as you can. Find someplace close by. Go for just an hour or two every chance you can, like in the early morning before your day starts, in the afternoon, at lunch, etc.

Don't put off a trip because of weather, or because the conditions aren't 'perfect'. Everyday spent on the water will teach you something.

Spend your fishing dollars on getting to the water, don't be concerned over 'better' tackle or more 'stuff', just go and fish.

You will learn more and become a better fisherman faster this way.

Good luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

When fishing an elk hair once I slipped and nearly fell. This caused me to ingore my fly which started to swing on a tight line. This resulted in my best fish of the day. The lesson I learned is that sometimes something that seems dumb will catch fish so try it. Now, I know about caddis diving under water but at the time I didn't and thankfully so because I have caught some nice fish trying wierd things.

Adam

I have three, that I can think of.

1. False cast less (or more importantly - only as much as needed)
    2. Read a book or get good advice about Reading Streams
    3. This BB and some of the advice I have gotten here has certainly helped me catch more.

Go early and stay late

+ Reply to Thread