+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinking Line??

Default Sinking Line??

Looking for advice again.
    I wanted a line to use to Surf cast and use as a sinking line for Bass or Steelhead ( as I only get to the salt once a year or so)
    I picked up S.A. Uniform sink line Type III (2.5 - 3.5 ips). I have not opened it yet and could return if it is not right.
    Question: There was a sinking tip line and a S.A. Wetcell type VI line as well; have I done the right thing?
    What would you suggest keeping in mind I don't fish salt that often.
    Thanks
    DuFf

There are Density Compensated and Wet Cell. I think for rivers, I would want the Wet Cell which means it WILL form a belly where Density Compensated will not. Around Utah I fish Density Type II in the rivers, but the rivers are not that big (in comparison to the Snake) Although the Green is nice sized.

Get the line that is absolutely the very freekin' best there is for the thing you do the most. Then 'make do' with it for any other uses. At least it will be good for one use, not possibly poor for all of them. I hate full sinking lines, such a pain handling. A sinking tip is a lot nicer, but may not do what you need done.

Great point. Get a multi purpose line like JC mentioned. Around my neck of the woods an 8wt rod is not a required rod, but I was thinking Tiger Muskey or even Steelhead. Thought I would get a so, so rod due to the fact I wouldn't be doing that type of fishing very often. But, then I thought, what if I really like it, so I bought an upper end 8wt.

Another possiblity is either a shooting head rig made up of a running line and a set of interchangeable heads (1-2 weights heavier than rod, although some vendors now assign weights directly); or one of the multi-tip lines that is essentialy a regular WF with a short head and a loop to loop connection for the various tips. Having tried both, I like shooting heads the best of the two. Takes some getting used to but a very versatile system that can easily be adjusted for most situations.

Just a thought, and YMMV.

What is "running line"?
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Just the exact opposite of what I meant. "Get a multi purpose line like JC mentioned." I meant to get the ... exact... line for the job so that the line was 'perfect' for the 'exact' job you want done. Something multipurpose is often not really very good at anything.

On a fly line the first 30 feet is what you put in the air and use to shoot the rest of the line out. The rest of the line is the running line. It could be the other 70 feet of your fly line or mono or backing or whatever you don't keep in the air during your cast.

jed

Jed, thanks. Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

+ Reply to Thread