+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3 wt

1. Default 3 wt

After looking around the internet for a rod builder, I came across McFarland Rods. I am interested in the Spruce Creek 7' 3 wt and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this rod? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again to all of you for helping me out with my previous post.

Ed

What exactly are you looking for? What kind of action? Line weight min-max? Length min-max? And of course, $$$ spent?

I can get you going the right direction - I just need more information. I know that both of rods you have mentioned are glass - is that a sure thing?

Thanks!!

Default Spruce Creek

Ed,
    I have built a couple of Mikes rods and about all I can say about them is that they are top notch and great casting rods. Be prepared for a slower action rod that is stil yet very responsive and has plenty of backbone to them. The ones that I have built have been teh 8', 3 piece 4 and 5 wt. He is currently making me an 8.5' 4 piece in a 5 weight. That root beer color is a very handsome color for a fly rod and many colors of wraps will compliment it. I used his signature hardware on the first one and it is just a beautiful rod. Can't say enough about them.

LD

4. Default

TampaJim,

I'm looking for a rod to fish in the local small streams. These steams are fairly over-grown with brush and the casting is tight. I would like a rod that loads with a short amount of line out of the tip top. A three weight would be really nice too. I would like to spend around $300 or so. Just from what I have read, I think glass would fit my needs or at least I think it will. I also like the durability compared to graphite.

Ed

Ed:

I am anxiously awaiting my first McFarland rod which will be a 7'0" 3pc 4wt with all the trimmings.

I decided on a 4wt because I like the versatility of a 4. I spoke at length to Mike and his rods are supposed to be very similar to the now defunct Winston Retro series. I own a 6'6" 3wt Winston Retro and it is my main go to rod for small streams when I don't use cane. The Retros loads with barely any line out of the tip top yet can throw a surprisingly long line when needed once you get the stroke down. I can easily throw 60+ feet of line with no problem.

Mike told me to expect the same thing with his rods. Just be prepared, these rods are S-L-O-W but ideal for the conditions you describe and a dream to cast and catch a decent fish on.

A Diamondback Diamondglass rod is considerably faster glass rod. If you can get you hands on a Diamondglass rod and it feels too slow, don't get a McFarland. If the Diamondglass feels too fast, order your Spruce Creek!

+ Reply to Thread