+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Favorite dropper

Default Favorite dropper

My poppers and gurggle pops have really been producing for me all summer. Watching a gill or a bass slam them on the surface is almost as fun as the bring them in. But, every now and then I add a dropper when the surface fishing gets slow. I have some success with small bead heads but nothing has been consitant for me. I guess my questions is, do you have a "go to" dropper? I mainly fish small lakes in Illinois and Wisconsin.
    caribe

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/042803fotw.html:ad8c0]Rainy's Bead Back Scud[/url:ad8c0]

Scud hook Size 10 or smaller, clear glass beads, tan Antron (nylon yarn) . I don't know about small lakes in Illinois and Wisconsin but it sure works here for me . Its rare when it doesn't work.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Dixieangler,
    That scud looks like a winner, plus it appears to be an easy tie.(I need easy). I've got some time this week so I'll tie some up and try it out.
    Thanks,
    caribe

Not really as easy tying as it looks or you might think , but it works. I have to leave enough space for the leg bunches when I start. Nice thing about tying it is I can work with each leg bunch tie-in until I get it right .
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Thanks for the tieing advice
    caribe

I have had good luck with this fly as a dropper - mainly for yellow perch and gills.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/ ... oName2.jpg

Recipe: Hook: Mustad 3399 #12, Tail: Black Hackle; Body: Lead under Black Punch Yarn; Shell back" Yellow Diamond Braid; Hackle: Black.

Sorry for the poor picture.

Tim Anderson

Tim,
    Thanks, I'll try it.
    Caribe

Scuds are good. I also fish a lot of soft hackles as droppers. Olive seems to work well for me early in the year, then Hare's ear and peacock herl bodied flies in the summer. I generally hackle them with guinea or chuckar, depending on my mood and the fishes appetite.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

+ Reply to Thread