+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly Tying Station

I do live in Austin. Started fly fishing at the begining of this year. Started tying a month ago. Mainly klousers and wooley boogers.

Usually i just read the postings, but this time i decided to post.

Steve and Ron I feel the same way--another builder ,with the same bench, that has been around for years web site is www.masterpiece-woodworkers.com The same Tying Center shown at the beginning, with a drawer under the table that raises the vise even higher. I like mine mounted at least table high or lower. A bench like I build can be made from a bread board two side 3 inch wide 3/4 boards, one for thread ,glue bottles and the other side 35 mm film canisters for beads hooks etc. The rear 3 in board raised on two dowels with holes, store all the tools bobins etc. Fifteen to Twenty bucks at the most,Orvis had a price of $350.

A tying bench is good for those that have to put tying equipment away on a shelf when thru tying--wives might object to euip sitting on the kitchen table. My tying room has the long table with tools and thread along the back wall,I sometime have a small tool holder to my left. BILL

Default Austin

Orion,
    I live in Austin as well. I like the Town Lake area around Shoal Creek. Have you tried there? I find that the bass love the Clouser there and the Panfish like small wet flies. If you haven't tried Town Lake you should. Just don't eat the fish!!!
    Sarge.

Default RE: Fly Tying Station

I agree with previous posters concerning keeping my area neat and a "place for everything and everything in its place". I've only been tying for a few years but am finding my own rhythm and style. However, in reference to a fly tying station I have to share my personal experience.

My first "station" was purchased at an estate sale for $100. It was large, awkward, and had too many gadget traps/places for things to get lost. My second was purchased at SportCo for $225 - again, too many places for things I didn't have (but eventually got just so I could fill the space ). The thing I hated about both stations was the fact they were both "cookie cutters" - basically one size fits all with no room for personalization.

Ahh, my third station. Total cost $15.00! I purchased one of those three-piece cutting board sets from the Wal Marche, some 1/4 in and 1/2 in dowels, and some magnetic sheeting. A little (very little) cutting, drilling, and dry fitting later I had a station/bench that fit my meager needs quite well. The groove around the large board was perfect to keep beads from spilling all over the floor; using a router I cut hook/bead cups; and the 1/4 inch dowel was fantastic for keeping spools of thread. Not only that, I was able to make the station the right height for where I normally tied. But just not quite enough room.

I am now on my fourth station. Near nirvana - I used leftover melamine from a work bench I put up in my garage, more 1/4 and 1/2 in dowel, more drilling/routing, and more trial and error. The white background of the melamine is perfect when trying to find #22 hooks; I have much more area to work with; and, when I need to add a new tool or additional materials I don't hesitate to drill/route space in the station. Total cost for station #4? Zip, nada, nothing - everything was either left over or found in the garage. Stations 1 & 2 were sold to finance my addiction; station 3 has been modified so I can take it on the road with me for vacations (it's no longer glued together, just used wingnuts/threaded rods).

My advice, for what it's worth, is that if you have a couple of hours to invest - build your own station. In the long run you'll be a lot happier with it!

Bugger Flicker I love yor reply-- if you read mine above I do the same thing. Make a few to sell use one and of I dont like sell it, go out in the shop and cut some more wood. Easily made for $15 to $20. I memtioned one that Oris sold for $350 that was easily copied for $20. Your paying for the name------BILL

+ Reply to Thread