+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IS THIS NEW?

Default IS THIS NEW?

I have been reading and posting with some consistency for a few years now. Although I do not post as many replies and messages as some of the regulars I do read and learn. Today is the first time (I have been away most of the summer) I saw this Paddling forum.

I am thinking about buying a Kayak and have looked at many brands and it has become confusing. So here is what I would like the experts out there to help me with. If you had one boat to be used on lakes, slow moving rivers, and possibly ocean bays (say, off the Cape Cod, etc.) what would be your suggestion. Things like length, make/model, rutter/no rutter, etc. Also anything I should be aware of in purchasing such a craft.

The boat would be used for fishing and some overnight stays on the boundary waters and other connecting lakes. I do a lot of traveling.

Hi Coach,

Yes, the paddle forum is a new addition in response to requests for same.
    So far it seems to be catching on. Some long time paddlers here with
    much info to share. I'm sure you'll get some decent replies. My
    preference in those waters would probably be a sit inside kayak of the
    recreactional class in the 12 foot range. Something you can paddle
    cold waters in and keep dry. Plenty to choose from and a range of
    prices as well. My choice was the Walden Adirondack, recently
    discontinued. Great boat though. Warm regards, Jim

Coach,

I concur with much of what Jim said in his post. However, I highly recommend the Wilderness System Pungo 140. It is a fast, stable 14' sit-in kayak that tracks well and does not need a rudder under normal circumstances. I own two of these boats and fish out of them year-round in lakes, rivers and the Chesapeake Bay. They are reasonably priced, fairly light and come in a variety of colors. I love mine and would not go back to a 12 fotter if you paid me)

I hope this helps.

Flycoach!

nighthawk Guest

Hi Caoch,
    Been missing ya and glad to have ya back . I bought a Raogue River 14tk canoe from bass pro this spring and I love it. Haven't tried the yaks yet. That is my next "project". Last time I was in the Gander Mountain at Williamsport they had a pretty good selection of both yaks and canoes there. Here is another place that I really like;

http://www.bluemountainoutfitters.net

They are in Marysville, Pa. If you feel like coming down this way just let me know and we can go there together. You might want to shoot Bill Knepp an email as he is a customer of theirs too.

I also like the Wilderness Systems. I prefer the Pungo 120. Make sure you get the Phase 3 seat. Its comfortable enough to want in your living room.

jed

Default Thanks

I've been looking at Yaks for awhile now and am extremely glad to get some advice from other fisherman and not a salesperson.

Nighthawk, been on the road a lot this summer but have read some of your posts. Appreciate the post congratulating the UK on the prevention of another terrorist attack. Great post on your part! Great job on the part of our security.

I will now hit the Gander Mountain and other kayak suppliers with some knowledge and idea of what will work and what won't. Will be checking this post more often in the future.

Another forum at FAOL. More time, more knowledge, and a lot more fun!

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default Yaks

For general use, I'd recommend a Touring yak with a rudder. My favorite is the Perception 17' Eclipse Airlite. I also like Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 170 Pro.

I like my current Recreation-type yak, but I believe they are discontinued and no longer avalable. It is a 9' WIlderness Systems Victory Blast. A wonderful, stable, fast and forgiving yak. It's even rated up to Class III water in case you get in trouble (I have gone through Class IV and V water in it by accident. It made it through fine, but I'm not going to make a habit of it). If I hadn't found this one, my money would've been on one of the Pungo models.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth, but any Yak is better than not having one at all!

Semper Fi!

+ Reply to Thread