+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Feathers

Thanks to all for the info on locating small feathers. I plan on checking out some of the suggestions.

Jeremy, I take my streamers down to sz 18 and use them for Gills and bass. I tie them on Daiichi 4x-Long Streamer Hooks # 2200 to size 16. I tie very small bugger down to a sz. 18 also in blacks, olive, brown and white with sparkle added to the fly. They work great on trout also. My midges I tie to sz 28 using Daiichi Hooks also. My way of thinking is fish eat a lot of small critters all the time and only larger critters sometimes no matter the size of the fish. I fish a lot under the water and in the sub-surface mostly, and drys when hatches are on. Hope this is of help.

Hobo,
    Thanks, it certainly makes good sense to me! I totally agree with you that fish eat LOTS more of the smaller stuff (eg midges etc.) than we give them credit for. In fact in one book I've read someplace, it mentioned that due to midge's being so prolific, that trout especially, eat them as a mainstay of their diets! Hmmm...

Thanks. I'll look into those hooks AND streamers. I'm a hook junkie to tell you the truth. Part of the addiction..

Also, ever since a recent intensity with bamboo has taken hold in a horrible way, I've become much more of a topside boy than I ever imagined before. I used to do an awefull lot of nymphing. Now I have trouble ... unless I swing soft hackles!

Thank you,

Jeremy.

+ Reply to Thread