+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float tubes & Pontoon boats

Default Float tubes & Pontoon boats

Now folks
    I have been searching the web for information on pontoons and float tubes. Now I am looking for opinions on both. I would like to know which you think is the best buy and why. The make and model, would you get a float tube or a pontoon boat and why. This is an open posting I am looking for opinions.
    Ghost.

I am going to change float tubes.Never had a pontoon boat,but have had different brand tubes.I am leaning toward a n outcast super fat cat ,because of the glowing reviews I have gotten from this website and other sources closer to home.T hey also have a 5 year warranty which really opened my eyes.

Since I am prone to leg cramps & don't enjoy the "clown-like" manuevers to get in & out of a float tube, I bought a pontoon.... it is much easier for me. Easier to move in the water, to get in & out of, to cast from (sitting higher).
    Later,
    Peter

Since Terry mentioned FatCat...my take on it...I got one 1 1/2 years ago....higher end...price reflects it...I like it because my butt is out of the water...well designed pockets on each side sturdy...a little heavy compared to others I'm aware of...I haven't been in heavy winds so don't know if it is effected more since it seems to ride high...

As far as toon vs tube....to me it depends on the waters you are going to fish....rivers seldom for tubes...for stillwaters it depends on the size of the water...will you fight wind..etc.

I own both, and the two have pros and cons. The tube is easier to transport (such as if you are hiking to a remote lake), a pontoon boat would make it that much more difficult due to its size and weight. The toon is my choice as I am always sitting above the water, to date I have yet to wear my waders while tooning, I use my wading boots and a pair of neoprene socks. With a 'toon you do not get nearly as cold. If fishing a lake, the 'toon is more prone to be moved around by the wind, the tube less likely as you are below the water level from the waist down.
    Always keep in mind that the price range for both units vary inmensely. I would suggest for either product to purchase the higher en models, believe me you get what you paid for. Cheaper tubes are just that, cheaply made, the "inner" tubes are pretty thin and not very durable, easy to puncture. The same applies to pontoons, a "Walmart" type of pontoon will not be very durable, the frame will more than likely be metal, making it heavy, the pontoons will be bladders covered by a thin layer of fabric, not what you want to have if you are about to crash against a logjam in the middle of nowhere.
    Without a doubt I believe the pontoon is the better way to go. I have a top of the line pontoon boat (actually, just bought a second one). With my 'toon I have found myself in the middle of faster moving waters heading straight for a logjam, to my surprise, and relief, I just bounced off the logs and kept going, something I think would be very unlikely with a paper thin bladder pontoon boat. The weight of my pontoon boat is 30 lbs fully inflated, some of the more "affordable" models weigh as much as 70 or 80 lbs.
    My advise to you is to buy the best, quality wise, unit you can. Your safety should be primordial, don't get the cheaper one to save a few bucks, if you can, get the best out there. Better to buy it now, than 6 moths later wishing you had spent the extra cash for a unit that would be much better/safer/more enjoyable.
    To me, comfort is a must, I am NOT well off, yet I refuse to buy something that I would consider not completely to my liking. I rather wait and save a bit, then purchase what I want.
    For God's sake, if you choose to go with the floattube, NEVER, EVER use it when floating a river, these are NOT intended for moving water, your safety and well being is much more important than taking a foolish risk.
    Without a doubt, you will get lots of advise as to which brand to buy, and no matter how people try to influence your decission, think it thoroughly and go with the unit that best suits YOUR needs and YOUR budget. Also, don't be fooled by the bells and whistles (ie. anchor system, rod holder, cigarette ashtray, seat belt etc. you know what I mean. By the way a seat belt is an exageration and should not even be an option) some units include these as part of the package, they do this to overcome the poor quality of the toon/tube, all of these "extras" can be purchased sepparately.
    For the record, I own a Water Otter and a River Otter, both are excellent units and surpass my expectations. My Water Otter is over 20 years old and still going strong, I believe it is one of the original ones that were made. My River Otter was purchased last year, I bought it from a friend a couple of weeks ago, it is in mint shape and I look forward to using it for the next 20 plus years.
    Finally, and I will admit that I do NOT use these, get a PFD. I believe these are a must if you are not familiar with the body of water you are fishing. I float my local stream and I know it very well, it is a slow moving river, the water depth is an average 2-3 ft.
    Take care,
    Saltamontes

If you have read any of my posts, you already know this, but I will answer this question.
    I have an 11 1/2' pontoon and a 4' pontoon. I also have a SFC and an Escalade.
    If I could only afford one, it would without a doubt be the Freestyle H3.
    Reasons: I do some small lakes in the mountains and the Freestyle would be easy to pack in. I also do very large lakes, and there too the Freestyle would be perfect. This thing can even do white waters (where aloud of course)
    Very well made with bladders that are not as effected by temp, or altitude.
    Comfortable as heck, yet not that heavy.
    Long enough to take choppy water.
    The nice thing about pontoons however is that you have oars along with the legs, plus easier to put a motor on. Down side, hard to get them to remote waters.

Grey Ghost it has been a long time since I talk with you. Your idea of a float tube verses a pontoon boat has many variables. I have the super fat cat and a 10 ft outcast pontoon. I bought the pontoon this year to lower the times I get blown off a lake in eastern washington. It does better and a person have more control with it. The plus of the fat cat is that it don't take up much room to store and very packable to high mountain lakes. The comfort level in both are very good, with most of your body out of the water. I use kayak paddles with the super fat cat but it still did not have the manuverabilty of the pontoon boat. On the safety side, I would never take a float tube out in a river, the Darwin selection process is to high. Your legs can get tangled in snags very easily and you know the rest. With pontoon boats they are sized for different applications. With the 10 ft outcast it has a bladder and fairly heavy fabric covering. Other pontoons, the outside cover is the bladder also but made out of different material. I picked mine for use on small rivers and lakes. If I wanted whitewater rating a heavier fabric, heavier frame and more bladders would be in store. But the weight of the craft goes up quite abit.
    My pontoon is approximately 65 lbs loaded, when compared to the fat cat is around 15 to 20 lbs loaded. There is one hybird out there made in Montana that looks like a life raft with half the bottom out of it so a person can stand up in it. But to me it looked clumsy to use, some people have them around here and really like them.
    What is interesting there is approximately 3 manufactures that make all the brands. AIRE makes buck bags, outcast, Aire, and couple of others.
    Scanddon makes the one with the outside material as the bladder and have a very good platform for standing that stores when you don't need it because support rail folds back over your head and the standing platform slides under the seat. The other one is raft like and don't remember the brand now. Good luck on your journey
    R.E.W.

Grayghost...REW pretty much hits it....the whole subject is full of variables....you didn't define where,when, or how you are going to use them...the above discussions are good but maybe do not apply to how YOU are going to fish or use the toon or tube

BTW... DO NOT...and I say again ...DO NOT...get a tube that is circular!!!!....get a u-tube...if you are getting a tube...

Folks
    I know that a float tube is to be used on still waters, small reservoirs and lakes. The pontoon boat can do more, lakes and streams, I know you get what you pay for, right now I am looking for opinion on float tubes and pontoon boats. The why you bought and use what you have, why you like what you have. This give me the information that reviews and stats don't. This is the personal experience of a user. Thank you folk for this information.
    Ghost

I have both. I chose to get a [pontoon boat due to the fact my friend had one and fished more water with less effort then I did. I have a creek company. I use mine in still water only because that is my preference for fishing. I like the toon cause it has oars if I need them I don't get blown off the lake unless the wind is really bad. I sit out of the water, I don't wear bulky waders, but most of all I feel really safe in a toon verus float tube. I do take a float tube for long walks in. my toon weighs 45 pounds with 8 foot pontoons

+ Reply to Thread