+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry Fly Hackle

Default Dry Fly Hackle

I have been thinking that I may want to try tying some Elk Hare Caddis in 12 - 16. Uo to this point I have not tied any dry flys.

So here is my question. What hackle should I look at that won't break the bank. I see some advertised as Grade 1, 2 & 3. I have seen some grade #3 1/2 necks for around $25. And yes I have check out some of the sponsors websites, but I am an old rookie when it comes to this stuff.

So without laboring me with allot of suggestions, would some of you tell me what I should be looking for and where?
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

AD,
    You might want to try out the "100's" packages. Not a whole lot invested ($10-12), you can tie upwards of 100 flies from one package, and they are available in specific sizes, so you don't have lots of waste.
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Dave,
    If you need the hackle for those flies only, take a look at the Whiting 100 packs. They are sized, so you can buy #12, #14 and #16 packs.
    These packs will give you top hackle that's very easy to work with, at a reasonable price (abt. $12 a pack).
    If you think you'll use hackle more often, a cape or neck may be a good choice. In that case there are a lot of options.
    Mart

Betty

You rock! I had completely forgotten about those 100 packs. I like the idea of very little waste and low cost.

Thanks!
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

When you buy the hackle do not buy size #12 for a size #12 hook buy a size #14. You size Elk Hair Caddis hackle one size smaller than the hook size. That was taught to me by Al Troth. Ron

Anglerdave,

Unless I missed something, you said you're going to tie sizes 12, 14 and 16. That means, assuming you want to follow the hackle sizing mentioned by RonMT, you're going to need sizes 14, 16 and 18. Actually, I thought the hackle ribbing was one size smaller but the neck hackle was a true size. That would mean 4 different sizes of 100 packs! Anyway, you're going to need at least 3 sizes of hackle. For my money a good quality neck is a better investment than several packs of the Whiting 100's. Okay, there are less feathers per size, but you get a greater range of sizes plus feathers from which you can get tailing material as well as possibly winging material. Aside from Whiting(most expensive), I'd recommend Conranch and Collins Hackle. Both offer excellent quality and with Collins' necks you get the saddle at no additional cost.

Allan

Hi AnglerDave,

If you are just starting to get into tying dries, then look to get brown hackles and grizzle hackles. Basically, with those two you cover a large range of patterns. Elk hair caddis is a very good pattern to start with, and I've had lots of luck with one. I've also done well with Wickham's Fancy, which is another good palmered dry fly, in similar size ranges. (tail: brown fibers, body: flat gold tinsel; hackle: brown/reddish brown palmered up the body; rib: fine gold wire counter wrapped to hackle; wings: pheasant tail fibers or turkey tail). This floats nice and high on the water. The wings can be tied in low along the body or upright, like a mayfly. I've had trout take it when cicada or caddis are around, and even when nothing in particular seemed to be happening.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Allen In truth the hackle size for a true EHC as per Al Troth is the hackle should just touch the hooks point. And yes he will spend the time to size all the hackle to meet that size. He is one picky person when it comes to tying but he is also one of the best I have ever seen.
    Were most people will dye half a neck to get the color they need for an order he will select just the number of feathers he needs for an order and dye them after he has sized them all.
    I have one of his old catalogs that he took all the picture's for and every fly in it is near perfect. As are all of his flies. One picky person for sure. Ron

PS: I gave the one size smaller as it is as close as I feel you need be. Not Al though. LOL

Ron,

Regardless, for 3 sizes of flies, Anglerdave will still need 3 sizes of hackle and I still believe that a neck is the way to go unless you're tying commercially. Even in that case, if we're talking about Whiting specifically, a 1/2 saddle or whole saddle is the better buy than the 100 pack. Just MHO.

Allan

Allen I was in no way disagreeing with what you said just explaining what I said about sizing.

I buy and use Whiting Saddles for about 90 percent of my dryfly tying. I buy wholesale and buy a lot of them. Like you say for commercial tied flies it is the best way to go. I do own a lot of capes. But I find that saddles work the best bet for me. I tie a lot of small flies for spring creek style of fishing so I buy whole midge saddle a lot. I do use a cape now and then though. Ron

+ Reply to Thread