+ Reply to Thread

Thread: anyone built on Winston blanks?

1. Default anyone built on Winston blanks?

Hi folks,
    Always wanted a TMF so I thought I'd build one with a larger grip than the factory version. Anyone used Winston blanks before? How were they to work with?
    Thanks a lot

I built 3 of them previously, 2 of the LTX and one LT, I got the blanks with the Winston reel seat from a company in Montana (not a sponser so I won't use their name) and they were excellent to work with. Superb winston quality. they even supplied the name of the person that signs all of the winston rods so that I could send the rods to him for signing if I wanted to.

I built a Winston BIIX 8wt, and the only flaw I saw was when I cut a guide off to re-wrap and noticed a depression on the blank where the guide was and grooves where the wraps were. I was sure I had just wrapped the guide too tight, but they all ended up looking like that. I guess the finish is just a bit softer than others I've built.

Besides that, it's a stunning rod!!!!!!!!

Good luck

Excellent blanks to work with, no different than other blanks as far as building goes, that's the beauty of rodbuilding. You get what you want on everything.

I have built several rods on R.L. Winston blans and have found them to be of the highest quality. They have excellent customer service and were most helpful in providing guide spacing charts and any other technical information I needed.

I don't seem to be able to find cork that is as high quality as the cork that comes with the stock rods. You might see if you can get the required handle from them. Winston seems to have the clearest most defect free cork of all the major rod makers.

+ Reply to Thread