Took off for Ohio this weekend, fished the Big Darby and Olentangy rivers. I confess to using spinning gear on the Darby, we were floating it and really doing a run and gun job. Anyway, the lure of choice ended up being a popper, got two nice (16") smallies and two decent rock bass. Missed several more fish. Anyway, beautiful river, excellent water quality. Check out Trapper John's Canoe Livery for rentals.

The following day we waded the scenic stretch of the Olentangy River. Right away, I was a little worried because the water level was up and dingy. However, from past experience, I worked three or four foot off of shore line with a bead-head olive woolly bugger, just leaving about ten foot of line out and slowly walking up stream with my rod extended over the water. Got 4 small smallies (9 or 10") and one 4" white bass (must have washed over delaware dam, there is no notable run of them in the Olentangy that I've ready about). Found lot's of nymphs and fossils under the rocks. Spooked a bunch of carp, will have to come back with a heavier rod and try for them. Another very pretty river (enormous slabs of river rock, bluffs, waterfalls, etc.), however I don't think it gets the attention some of the other rivers do, because it runs through more urban areas, and does not have the water quality of the Darby.

Anyway, I don't mean to give up any honey holes, but I figure the people on this board would give these waterways the right kind of attention. Columbus is an expanding city and these rivers need some friends. If asked, I will remove the names of the rivers.

[This message has been edited by jsalkas (edited 09 May 2005).]