+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wading the Flats Question

Thanks, everyone for the help, and the warning about rays. I never would have thought about them.

Adam

2. Default

i'm about to leave for the coast from west loop at I-10. if you get a chance, pick up Wade and Kayak Fishing Galveston by Ray Crawford. it'll tell you where some spots are and how to get to them. no real fishing reports, but it's still very useful. it also has a chapter on wading safety. good stuff.

3. Default

well, i'm 0 for 2, skunked again. i need to regroup and figure out what i'm doing wrong here. in an ocean, there are fish and i seem not to be finding the fish.

------------------
    take him fishing

I am interested in knowing what brand of inexpensive wading shoes you guys would recommend???

5. Default

don't get felt-soled. i've had a heck of a time with sliding across the mud like i'm on ice. the combination of the Orvis sandals (which i bought for river fishing earlier this past summer) and neoprene socks is very workable, but those soles are killer on me. i've been eyeballing some Delta Boots lately. 'puncture-resistent' soles and neprene booties.

------------------
    take him fishing

If you want something cheap, I would recommend the canvas hodgman lace ups at academy. They look like something your grandfather might have worn when he was a kid, but they support your ankles, have a tough bottom, and are less than $40.

There are lots of good expensive boots out there, my favorite are the Patagonia Marlwalkers. They just redesigned them, so you might be able to get a good deal on the old ones.

On the mud, yeah its nasty, but can be very productive. The gooey mud is often caused by decaying plant matter, which feeds vey small stuff, which feeds bigger stuff, which feeds what we fish for. One of my best spots has mud that's at least knee deep. Yeah, the wading sucks, but that slough absolutely fills up with reds at high tide. I know there are fish in Lake Como in the cold months. Here's a link: [url=http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/pom/200403.htm:c550a]http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/pom/200403.htm[/url:c550a]

Yes, the Hodgeman (or similar) boots at Academy work great. The Marlwalkers are Cadillac - I just blew out my first pair that I've had for five years or so, and promptly ordered another pair. They are pretty damn good boots. In either case, you might want to get some neoprene gravel guards to keep shell, etc. from getting into your boots. In the summertime, you can wear neoprene socks and fold the top over the boot to accomplish the same thing.

Re: mud, it's where you want to be looking this time of year as it warms more quickly on sunny days.

I have found another reason to wear the gravel guards with my Marlwalkers besides the shells and grit. After wading and then climbing back in the boat we immediately got into fish. Let me tell you that nothing will tick you off more than losing a fish while clearing your line and it gets caught in your laces. The gravel guards have taken care of this problem.
    FFF Life Member #22

+ Reply to Thread