+ Reply to Thread

Thread: caddis pupa patterns

Default caddis pupa patterns

i was looking at past flys of the week, and i saw the S.L.F. caddis, it looks like a good fly, but i have one question. i have tryed out some flies that use lots of different materials like the S.L.F. and have had no luck, but i made a caddis pattern with only few materials, and have had lots of luck, has anyone had luck with the S.L.F. or any others that use lots of materials?

P.s. the fly that i made, is a basic pattern, it has a under body of yellow antron dubbing, a strethtubing over body, and a flachabu rib, with a black antron dubbing head. after you take a real caddis fly out of its shell and place it on a rock, then put mine next to it, they look alot alike, and i dont see any simmularitys with some other caddis pupa flies.

S.L.F. = Synthetic Living Fibre. Luck has little to do with it. A product by Davy Wooten, it is very realistic and acclaimed world wide. If you have not had good 'luck' with it, I suggest you look more to skill than luck.

A killer here in Arkansas during our caddis hatches on the White River system. I was talking to Davy about the pattern here at a local fly fishing show and he said that he has luck fishing the thing in all sizes but mainly fishes 14&16's. I watched him tie the pattern and it is a little less sparse than the one on here. You might try tying it that way and see how that works for you. His original also has long wood duck antennae like that one on this page but they are longer and go up over the body not to the side. The orginal also calls for ostrich herl instead of the hackle. Try them smaller and see what happens.

thanks for the input i will try what you said to do parrotheadcrb and see what happens

I've used that stuff for nymphs and I think it works great. Nice and buggy.

+ Reply to Thread